Finally added an Adam to the collection

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have found a decent assortment of production cues for super cheap at thrift stores and pawnshops, as low as 15 bucks for Vikings and McDermotts. Found this beauty for 75 bucks today, excellent condition, super solid feeling cue. It's an Ad-4, 20oz. The more I look at it the more I like it. Gonna start watching marketplaces for more like it
Compress_20230422_155321_1378.jpg
Compress_20230422_155321_1000.jpg

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have found a decent assortment of production cues for super cheap at thrift stores and pawnshops, as low as 15 bucks for Vikings and McDermotts. Found this beauty for 75 bucks today, excellent condition, super solid feeling cue. It's an Ad-4, 20oz. The more I look at it the more I like it. Gonna start watching marketplaces for more like itView attachment 697214View attachment 697216
nice cue... where the heck do you live? I'd like to take a gander around your town

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nice cue... where the heck do you live? I'd like to take a gander around your town
Minnesota, do my shopping in on the cities and St cloud, have also found several pretty nice cues for cheap in eau Claire. Have resold some. Gotta check these places very often before finding that one good deal.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have found a decent assortment of production cues for super cheap at thrift stores and pawnshops, as low as 15 bucks for Vikings and McDermotts. Found this beauty for 75 bucks today, excellent condition, super solid feeling cue. It's an Ad-4, 20oz. The more I look at it the more I like it. Gonna start watching marketplaces for more like itView attachment 697214View attachment 697216
Really great find.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Must have been a thrift store find bc no pawn shops that I know are selling that for $75- Pawn shops - since the internet - price stuff at the highest e bay asking prices from my 30 years of hunting. Yard sales and thrifts are still the best bets for true cue bargains -

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Must have been a thrift store find bc no pawn shops that I know are selling that for $75- Pawn shops - since the internet - price stuff at the highest e bay asking prices from my 30 years of hunting. Yard sales and thrifts are still the best bets for true cue bargains -

I have good experiences with the independently owned pawn stores, this one was at a small ma an pa pawn shop. Bigger pawn shops like pawn America price everything dang near retail these days. But occasionally still find a good deal there that some one drops the ball on or are confident they already know the value on. Sometimes they make typos too! I found a very pretty McDermott that was 230, but had a price drop, only instead of dropping it to 199.99 as I think they meant, the label said 19.99 and I walked out with a heckuva deal. Also unmarked cues are hard for them to price so have got some screaming deals on those too.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hate to 'over-the-top' this great find but i have to tell it: back in late 80's one of the regulars stopped at a PS on the way home. Now get ready, he snagged a 4pt. JossWest with ivory joint, 2 shafts AND a Fellini case for 50bux. I was there when he brought it in just after buying it. Gotta be the greatest pawnshop dig in pool history.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pre-internet ps's didn't know jack about cues and there were a lot of steals out there. Now they can instantly price check anything. Hard to find deals like this ADAM anymore.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pre-internet ps's didn't know jack about cues and there were a lot of steals out there. Now they can instantly price check anything. Hard to find deals like this ADAM anymore.

No question. And the prices last few years for anything 'Adam' / 'Helmstetter' or sub variants ( even chinese models ) is generally way over the top.

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hate to 'over-the-top' this great find but i have to tell it: back in late 80's one of the regulars stopped at a PS on the way home. Now get ready, he snagged a 4pt. JossWest with ivory joint, 2 shafts AND a Fellini case for 50bux. I was there when he brought it in just after buying it. Gotta be the greatest pawnshop dig in pool history.
That's insane, stories like that keep me checking all these places no matter how many times I get skunked

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's my current line up of second hand cues that I still have, have resold 4 others. Im about 220 bucks into all of these, that one in the center is a custom conversion from an old Brunswick collender, some nice stag rings, curly shafts. Deals are still out there!

Compress_20230423_144238_8774.jpg

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have good experiences with the independently owned pawn stores, this one was at a small ma an pa pawn shop. Bigger pawn shops like pawn America price everything dang near retail these days. But occasionally still find a good deal there that some one drops the ball on or are confident they already know the value on. Sometimes they make typos too! I found a very pretty McDermott that was 230, but had a price drop, only instead of dropping it to 199.99 as I think they meant, the label said 19.99 and I walked out with a heckuva deal. Also unmarked cues are hard for them to price so have got some screaming deals on those too.
Right, depends where you live of course, always a possible find somewhere of course(y)(y)(y)