Florida Tour Stop #1 Melbourne Sunday Night Update

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
Just called John Ditoro and got the news on what was shaking at the Florida tour. First, this event was an endurance event, with 93 players showing up and only 9 (!!!) tables to play on. The final loser's bracket match for Saturday was played SUNDAY morning, finishing at 10:10 AM. Winner's bracket matches started almost immediately thereafter at 11:00AM.
Playing in the finals right now are Corey Duel and David Broxson. First prize is $5k
top finishers included:
3rd: Rob Saez
4th Adam Wheeler
5th-6th Tony Crosby/Mike Destafano
7-8th mike dechaine / donny mills
9-12 wayne catledge/ louis viera/stevie moore/strickland

other notables in the field included :
Tom Kennedy
David Grossman
Neil Fujiwara
Paul song
John Ditoro
Trevor Braymore
Rafael Martinez
Tony Ruberto
Troy Frank
Randy Epperson
Dave Favor
Hunter Lombardo
Richie Orem
Ricky Sanchez
Butch Croft
Richard Broumpton

Lee Chenman of AZB was there as well, with Ditoro saying that he played excellent pool as well as snooker.
 
Deuel rolls past Broxson

Article from FloridaToday.com dated April 16, 2007.

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070416/SPORTS/704160321/1002/SPORTS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Deuel rolls past Broxson

Space Coast Pro Open attracts 93 of the finest players

BY HILLARD GROSSMAN - FLORIDA TODAY

Highly regarded Corey Deuel rallied to beat Pensacola native David Broxson 9-5 and win the $8,000-added 20th Space Coast Pro Open 10-ball billiards tournament at Players Billiard Club on Aurora Road late Sunday night.

Deuel trailed 4-1 in the finals before a packed audience. He took home $5,000, while Broxson walked away with $2,500.

Deuel, from West Jefferson, Ohio, came into the final match unbeaten, having knocked off Broxson in the King of the Hill winners bracket final.

New York's Rob Saez, the current Steve Mizerak Florida state champion, finished third by beating out Adam Wheeler of Orlando. Tony Crosby of England and Mike De Stephano of Orlando shared fifth place.

"Corey is definitely one of the top 10 players in the world," said tournament director John DiToro. "But they're all pros and they can beat him at any given moment."

Deuel also won the last major pro tournament, the Gabriels Open, in Pennsylvania.

Melbourne's Sean Ohman, whose father, Pete, makes Ohman cues, finished tied for 13th in the 93-player field.

Jim Sandler, also of Melbourne, finished 17th.

Maine's Mike Dechaine, the U.S. national champion for 18-and-under players, tied for seventh in the 10-ball event, which is played much like the standard 9-ball contests.

The Space Coast Pro Open is the first of nine stops on the Florida Pro Tour, sponsored by Seminole Sports Management and presented by the Seminole Tribe.

The next tour stop is at Strokers Billiards on April 28-29 in Palm Harbor.
 
Great Event; sad realization!!

You know, players meeting @ 12: play begins at 1:00.
I was hanging with Julio for what seemed like forever. I had to say goodnight at 3:00 to get some sleep.
Came back the next morning and He had just finished his last match at 9:45 AM. My bud Adam was still freaking playing and playing until God Knows when it ended last night. That is almost 2 full days with no sleep.
If you are not the top dog, then you did it for peanuts. $300 was the last spot paid out.
I tried to put this in some sort of perspective and all I came up with is:
What now? IT is a fun game, you work your ass off to get up to a certain level that is unattainable unless you quit work and just play (with a coach as well). Even then there is no guarantee. I don’t think the pros have health or life insurance not sure about retirement either.
I think I need to take some time off and think about my time invested in this game and what I can get out of it. As of now it just seems to be a big giant hole that I am throwing countless hours and heaps of cash into with no return.
I think I need a break for a while.
Overall the tournament I thought was awesome I met some really cool people

Chen Le Men, (is a freaking comedian and surprised to hear his accent)
Richard Broumpton (very good guy as well, if I don’t quit pool he is going to be my next coach)
And Tony Crosby (he was very nice) it was a pleasure to meet him for sure.

I think the tournament at Hammerheads is going to be a lot more comfy with 24 diamonds and seating room.
 
Back
Top