Fluorescent to LED

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just changed the lights over my table from fluorescent to LED & wow. Should have done this years ago. I wanted more light, less shadows & a better color temp. I got it all (PLUS) quiet. No humming & buzzing. If you're running fluorescent lights & are thinking about LED GO FOR IT!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, a great change to LEDs, even for standard bulbs. My son swapped out all the old style 60W lights in the fixtures at his pool room for LED lights, immediate improvement in brightness.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just changed the lights over my table from fluorescent to LED & wow. Should have done this years ago. I wanted more light, less shadows & a better color temp. I got it all (PLUS) quiet. No humming & buzzing. If you're running fluorescent lights & are thinking about LED GO FOR IT!
Yep! And if you still ride a horse and buggy, upgrade to a sedan.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Y E S , finally 👽

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i havent changed the ballast on lots of them and no issues. so saved lots of work. just changed out replacement bulbs.
i get the ones with the most lumens and highest daylight number.

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i havent changed the ballast on lots of them and no issues. so saved lots of work. just changed out replacement bulbs.
These are 5000K (daylight) 2 8ft 12000, 24000 total lumens. Couldn't be happier. PERFECT. And the best part is they're absolutely quiet.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea, I get that they can work with the ballasts, but suppose the ballast goes bad after the switch to LED and then the light doesn't come on. The first response is to start replacing bulbs to no gain, and then eventually replace the ballast to get the LEDs to light up again, which will work but is an absolutely unnecessary expenditure. It takes less than 5 minutes to remove the ballast and splice the wires.

tomatoshooter

These are 5000K (daylight) 2 8ft 12000, 24000 total lumens. Couldn't be happier. PERFECT. And the best part is they're absolutely quiet.
What brand are they? I have LEDs installed in track lighting with conventional screw bases. The color temperature isn't listed where I can find it, but they suck. The light is bluish, it looks like I'm welding in there. I've seen worse LEDs but you sure wouldn't put these in an art gallery.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
It takes less than 5 minutes to remove the ballast and splice the wires.
The LED bulbs I got worked with either shunted or non-shunted sockets. Non shunted sockets only require one side to be wired, shunted sockets need both sides wired. I was able to replace most of the sockets (tombstones) with non shunted ones to make the switch easier.
Anyone doing this need to know the difference.

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
are you sure about 24,000 lumens. you would be lighting the equivalent of 15 100 watt light bulbs.

This is what they say it is, two of them would be 24000​

Tycholite 8FT LED Shop Lights 110W LED Garage Light, 5000K, 12000lm, 8 Foot LED Linear Strip Fixture, Surface and Suspend Mounting, for Warehouse, Workshop, Replace for Fluorescent Tube 2 Pack​

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I toyed around with the idea of going to LED when I built my Gold Crown Light. I decided to stay with fluorescents. My light doesn't buzz or flicker and the Phillips bulbs (8) I use spec out at 5000K, 2,600 Lumens and a CRI (Color Rendering Index) of 90. Total Lumens of the fixture is 20,800. The light is great. If/when I start having issues with the ballast(s), I'll convert over to LED but until then, I'm 100% satisfied with my setup and have never gotten negative feedback from those that have played on the table.

50107805568_079822ee98_b.jpg

49726405907_c8b922510b_b.jpg

PracticeChampion

I toyed around with the idea of going to LED when I built my Gold Crown Light. I decided to stay with fluorescents. My light doesn't buzz or flicker and the Phillips bulbs (8) I use spec out at 5000K, 2,600 Lumens and a CRI (Color Rendering Index) of 90. Total Lumens of the fixture is 20,800. The light is great. If/when I start having issues with the ballast(s), I'll convert over to LED but until then, I'm 100% satisfied with my setup and have never gotten negative feedback from those that have played on the table.

Blue cloth helps a lot with brightness. One of our tournaments switched from blue to green and now it's like shooting in a dungeon

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That is a beautiful pool room.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
too much light can be bad as well. but its all about what you like.

but for me i dont want it too bright and also about the same as places i go to play.