FS 1950-1960 Harvey Martin Model cue with case

dbldown

Banned
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
CUE IS SOLD.....Early Harvey Martin cue, my estimation is 1950-1960. He made this model for decades. It is in good used original condition. The butt is 27.5 inches long, early prederlin plastic buttcap with a small rounded grayish rubber bumper that is glued in. Birdseye maple "merrywidow" butt (1 piece for entire butt), double stained to bring out the impressive grain pattern. Brown glove leather wrap that was a bit worn, but cleaned up nicely. Flat face ivory joint,with a 3/8 by 8 threads per inch screw, handmade by Mr.Martin. The ivory joint had a crack on 1 side. It was removed and the crack glued and clamped, then reglued securely to the cue. I thought of replaing it, but the patina and the fact it was Mr. Martin's work would not let me. The shaft is 29.5 inches ( total cue length 57 inches ), it is dead straight, straight taper with an 11mm tip. Ferrule is ivory, maybe buckhorn, but definately original. Shaft weighs 3.3 ounces, the but 17.3 ounces so 20.6 total. The 21 on the hand written logo indicates the weight.

Case is an early Swiss made by Lederwarenfbrik A.G. Schaffhausen. Probably 1940-1960 era. Very nice condition. 30 inches by 4 in diameter, lined with a tan felt. Company still exists, makes handbags and briefcases.

Partial trades considered. Includes insured delivery with tracking. I will cover paypal fee. PM me with any questions, picture requests or offers.
I can sell it without the case for MARTIN CUE IS SOLD . Price includes paypal fee and insured shipping. These cue are signifant collectibles, usually seling for 2000. In this market the asking price is very good.I am flexible on trades, show me what you have.

HARVEY MARTIN
Maker of pool cues from the 1920s to 1984, primarily in Los Angeles, California.
At the age of nineteen, Harvey Martin was a talented billiard player who thought he could build a better cue than those that were available. He was working at a Seattle pool hall when he constructed his own woodworking lathe and built his first cue. Harvey let another player try his cue and a short time later, that player offered to buy it. Harvey´s second cue sold in similar fashion, and in time, he had created a new profession: custom cuemaking.
4Harvey´s background lent itself favorably to cuemaking. He had experience harvesting wood, working with metals as a welder and toolmaker, and possessed the meticulous attention to detail required of a cabinetmaker. He also had experience with leather and ivory. When combined, his experiences and talents formed a nearly ideal skill set for a cuemaker. By the late 1920s, some of the world´s best players were using Harvey Martin cues and, in terms of custom cuemaking, his only real competitor at the time was Herman Rambow in Chicago.
Harvey provided a rare service to his customers, even by today´s standards, by tailoring the cue to the individual. He would watch his customer play, studying dimensions like stance and stroke, arm length and grip position. Harvey would take all the information, combined with any customer requests, and construct a cue specifically dedicated to that person, from the finest materials available.
Favoring product integrity over aesthetics, Harvey rarely did inlay work in his cues. Though his designs were fairly simple, Harvey´s construction methods were ingenious and, in some cases, well ahead of their time. He experimented with innovative solutions to current day performance issues such as deflection. Use of the spliced shaft, for instance, an idea recently promoted as new, was tried decades ago by Harvey Martin. Harvey designed shaft weight inserts that were located behind the ferrule to help the tip stay on the ball longer during a shot. He also experimented with interchangeable metal inserts located above and below the wrap so that the cue´s balance point could be adjusted.
Harvey Martin cues through the 1960s are most simply identified by the name and date stamped into the fiber ring just above the butt cap. Later cues are identified by handwritten markings of identification and weight that were inked onto the butt sleeve. The owner´s name might also be stamped or printed in ink on the butt sleeve. Almost all Harvey Martin cues had bird´s-eye maple forearms and butt sleeves. His joints were often ivory with 3/8 in. joint screws made of brass or aluminum. Wraps on Martin cues were typically leather or cork with butt caps of ivory or white Delrin. Harvey would sometimes stain the cue to bring out the natural figure of the wood; some examples of cues with two stains are also known. A few Harvey Martin cues were made with points and were full spliced from Brunswick blanks. Harvey also made cues with ivory handles. This was accomplished by using nine segments of ivory, each turned down from a billiard ball then stacked to form the handle. The lightest weight among the eight known examples of this style of Martin cue is 20-3/8 ounces.
Another practice Harvey is known for his case making. His creations are often as recognizable as his cues. He used a leather tube-style design and usually stamped his name and the date inside the case: "Martin Cues
& Cases, LA, Cal." Harvey Martin´s contribution to cuemaking is largely unrivaled. For three-fourths of a century his cues have been used by the world´s best players and prized by collectors. For his contributions, insight and innovations, Harvey Martin has been admitted into the American Cuemaker´s Association Hall of Fame in 1995 and the International Cuemakers Association hall of fame in 2004.

Attachments

• 1203121824.jpg
    1203121824.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 2,094
  • 1203121822a.jpg
    1203121822a.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 2,001
  • 1203121827a.jpg
    1203121827a.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,837
  • 1203121831.jpg
    1203121831.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 2,138
  • 1203121834.jpg
    1203121834.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,754
Last edited:

dbldown

Banned
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Martin Cue

I found this lineage of all the cuemakers who can be traced back to Harvey Martin. It was made by forum member Billiardshot. Thirteen pages of the Billiard Encyclopedia clearly illustrate the significance of his work. He and Herman Rambow were the 2 firstcustom cuemakers, on opposite sides of thecountry.Martin made cues for 16 World Champions.

Attachments

• attachment.gif
    attachment.gif
    11.3 KB · Views: 1,555
Last edited:

dbldown

Banned
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Price drop

Price drop to 1400 cue and case or 1250 cue alone

Martin cues rarely come up for sale and not in this price range. This is the first layer of the custom cuemaking fossil record, it all started with Martin.

Would consider trades or cash plus trades. Just PM offers.

dbldown

Banned
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Martin cue

1200 for the Martin withvcase and just 1050 for the Martin by itself. This is terrific price on a cue from one of the godfathers of modern cuemaking.

Will consider trades of all kinds. I like anything, getting intoantique cues, I can refinish the, so if it appeals to me a deal could be made.