Funny Archer, Ellin, Coltrain and more story.

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was requested for another one. Want a story, here it goes.

I am sitting at the bar of the poolroom before the Thursday night tournament. I was amidst quite the company. Everyone was jawin' and trash talkin'. You know the scenario. "I'll take this." "Kiss my a$$." You know how it is. The difference would be the characters in my little tale.

In walks a guy with a large Instroke case. First words, "Anyone wanna play some? Eight ball on the big table." Now, normally this wouldn't be so amusing, except for the people at the bar. Get this. I am sitting in between Coltrain, Johnny, Tony Ellin, Greg Brooks, Roger Jackson, and Richie. Oh yeah, Cliff is practicing banks on the front table. Well, this guy doesn't recognize not one of'em. Not one. We all laughed as six people at once said, "Uh...yeah."

The guy is a little buzzed and picked Johnny. $20 a game. Well.... $200 later....

"I'm out of cash and a little buzzed. I'll come back later this weekend and all of you can get some."

How in the fu#$ can you play pool and not see this coming? Oh well, we all started somewhere, I guess.

Man, those were the good ol' days. By the way, Johnny didn't even buy us a beer for not jumping up and down asking to be the player. We all sat quietly and just chuckled.
 
If you are any type of pool player and someone that loves the game, how in the world do you not recognize Johnny Archer?
 
metallicane said:
If you are any type of pool player and someone that loves the game, how in the world do you not recognize Johnny Archer?
There were at least ten guys that were pretty known in the pool world. And, at least ten guys like me that were at least regionally known. It truly was funny as hell. The guy might have been a good "6" in the league play. Our ranking in Raleigh went 2-10, with champions being 12's. He might have stretched out to a "6". Maybe. Put it this way, there were twenty guys in the room "8" or better. Tough weekly tournament. Johnny once said, "You can win the US Open before winning this weekly event."
 
metallicane said:
If you are any type of pool player and someone that loves the game, how in the world do you not recognize Johnny Archer?

The guy probably just won the APA singles 8-ball qualifier and was feeling frisky....:thumbup:
 
crawfish said:
There were at least ten guys that were pretty known in the pool world. And, at least ten guys like me that were at least regionally known. It truly was funny as hell. The guy might have been a good "6" in the league play. Our ranking in Raleigh went 2-10, with champions being 12's. He might have stretched out to a "6". Maybe. Put it this way, there were twenty guys in the room "8" or better. Tough weekly tournament. Johnny once said, "You can win the US Open before winning this weekly event."

Carolina Crawfish,
Can you send me that's guy's contact information? I am pretty beat down right now. A "6" could probably help me out.
JoeyA
 
JoeyA said:
Carolina Crawfish,
Can you send me that's guy's contact information? I am pretty beat down right now. A "6" could probably help me out.
JoeyA
I put him on speed dial and then lost my phone in the ocean. That's another story.
 
metallicane said:
If you are any type of pool player and someone that loves the game, how in the world do you not recognize Johnny Archer?

I met Johhny Archer in an elevator in Vegas (Riviera) 96' (I think) and it took the entire ride for it to finally sink in. I have seen him on TV and in person although he looks the same'ish, I did not realize he was so skinny, not as tall as I thought, and I had no idea how big his nose looked in person. TK actually had to tell me who he was.
 
I guess I am lucky in the effect that I was around all of those champions on a daily basis. You sure pick up things. Ah, the good 'ol days.
 
crawfish said:
I guess I am lucky in the effect that I was around all of those champions on a daily basis. You sure pick up things. Ah, the good 'ol days.


yea...u lucky dog!
 
I was hitting some balls in Mothers pool room in Charrlotte about 1993, 1994 and in walked this guy wanting a game. Kelly Oyama and some of her friends were practicing and she agreed to play him. Kelly dusted him and he was somewhat perturbed saying he will be back tomorrow with more cash. The next day he returns. Kelly again is practicing with her friends. He walks over and asks if she wants to play. She replies yes but I have an appointment but my friend Allison will play you. He agrees.
Kelly Oyama
Allison Fisher
Jeannette Lee
were the friends
 
Seneca Steve said:
I was hitting some balls in Mothers pool room in Charrlotte about 1993, 1994 and in walked this guy wanting a game. Kelly Oyama and some of her friends were practicing and she agreed to play him. Kelly dusted him and he was somewhat perturbed saying he will be back tomorrow with more cash. The next day he returns. Kelly again is practicing with her friends. He walks over and asks if she wants to play. She replies yes but I have an appointment but my friend Allison will play you. He agrees.
Kelly Oyama
Allison Fisher
Jeannette Lee
were the friends


OHHHHHH SNAP!!! LOL...
 
Great stories ... LOL... It is ahame that these people did not even recognize who they were playing ... At least they could of said thay played Archer for 20.00 a rack or Kelly or Allison or who ever... Losing your money and not even having the satisfaction on recognizing you lost your money to a World Champion of this calibur is sad... And says alot about the state of pool....
 
Great stories ... LOL... It is ahame that these people did not even recognize who they were playing ... At least they could of said thay played Archer for 20.00 a rack or Kelly or Allison or who ever... Losing your money and not even having the satisfaction on recognizing you lost your money to a World Champion of this calibur is sad... And says alot about the state of pool....
 
Back
Top