Fury YT-1 review

tomker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took a leap of faith and ordered a Fury cue from AliExpress:

I got the YT-1 model with the 11.8 mm shaft ("KT Advanced"). The advertised price at the time was right around $250. Subtracting a new-user discount, but adding sales tax, the total came to exactly $247. So, here are my thoughts:
  • The wood looks amazing. The figuring, stain, etc. of the rosewood and the maple almost glows. The cue looks like it does in the promotional photos, which is still kind of a shock to me.
  • ~$250 for a cue with 5 rings and 6 points seems almost unbelievable. The rings and points are pretty intricate, too. The points are inlays instead of splices, but at this price point, it seems like the only decoration you can expect from a US brand is decals.
  • The points are different lengths. There's not much variation between adjacent points (maybe half an inch at most), but the longest point is about an inch longer than the shortest point (on the opposite side). This is the sort of thing that would usually bother me, but I feel like it's kind of a reminder that they're real wood points, and not decals.
  • The rings line up with each other pretty well, but for the ring under the points, the black bits don't line up perfectly with the centers of the points. They're off by about 1-1.5 millimeters. (You can see this in the attached picture.) As with the points, this doesn't really bother me. Another reminder that the decoration isn't decals.
  • The shaft is 11.8 mm with a conical taper. The ferrule is 1 centimeter long. The tip is advertised to be a Tiger tip in the product listing, and I have no reason to doubt that. It definitely has a bunch of layers. And it arrived nicely shaped.
  • The shaft has "KT Advanced" printed on it. I wish I knew what that meant. Fury's cheaper cues come with "KT Original" shafts (if you select the 11.8 mm option). I assume that "Advanced" is a step up from "Original" but I have no idea what the difference is supposed to be.
  • There's an image in the product listing that's hard to decipher. It looks like Fury's low-deflection shafts are called "Evolution" (you get an "HT Evolution" shaft if you choose the 13 mm option) but the "KT Advanced" logo is in the same image, so I have no idea if the shaft is low-deflection or not. Although if I had to bet money, I would guess not.
  • The bumper is pretty easy to unscrew. Fury makes two types of butt extensions for the cue. One looks like it's supposed to be installed semi-permanently and the other looks like it's quick-release. They're all 8 inches. The product listings are a bit tricky to find on AliExpress. I just ordered the quick-release extension for $42 plus tax. There are also a bunch of third-party butt extensions that claim to be compatible with Fury cues; some are listed on Amazon.
  • I ordered the cue via AliExpress from a Chinese vendor called "Adicto al billar" (which means "Addicted to billiards" in Spanish... why not?). It was shipped the following day via UPS and arrived on my doorstep 8 days later. The whole experience was really good.
As for how the cue plays, I won't bore everybody with my subjective opinions. I think it plays about as well as any other well-made cue. I'm very happy with it. I would definitely recommend Fury cues, and AliExpress, to friends and family.

Attachments

• fury1.jpg
    fury1.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 535
  • fury2.jpg
    fury2.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 460
  • fury3.jpg
    fury3.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 494
  • confusing.png
    confusing.png
    256.9 KB · Views: 548

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I got the YT-1 model with the 11.8 mm shaft ("KT Advanced"). The advertised price at the time was right around $250. Subtracting a new-user discount, but adding sales tax, the total came to exactly $247. So, here are my thoughts:
  • The wood looks amazing. The figuring, stain, etc. of the rosewood and the maple almost glows. The cue looks like it does in the promotional photos, which is still kind of a shock to me.
  • ~$250 for a cue with 5 rings and 6 points seems almost unbelievable. The rings and points are pretty intricate, too. The points are inlays instead of splices, but at this price point, it seems like the only decoration you can expect from a US brand is decals.
  • The points are different lengths. There's not much variation between adjacent points (maybe half an inch at most), but the longest point is about an inch longer than the shortest point (on the opposite side). This is the sort of thing that would usually bother me, but I feel like it's kind of a reminder that they're real wood points, and not decals.
  • The rings line up with each other pretty well, but for the ring under the points, the black bits don't line up perfectly with the centers of the points. They're off by about 1-1.5 millimeters. (You can see this in the attached picture.) As with the points, this doesn't really bother me. Another reminder that the decoration isn't decals.
  • The shaft is 11.8 mm with a conical taper. The ferrule is 1 centimeter long. The tip is advertised to be a Tiger tip in the product listing, and I have no reason to doubt that. It definitely has a bunch of layers. And it arrived nicely shaped.
  • The shaft has "KT Advanced" printed on it. I wish I knew what that meant. Fury's cheaper cues come with "KT Original" shafts (if you select the 11.8 mm option). I assume that "Advanced" is a step up from "Original" but I have no idea what the difference is supposed to be.
  • There's an image in the product listing that's hard to decipher. It looks like Fury's low-deflection shafts are called "Evolution" (you get an "HT Evolution" shaft if you choose the 13 mm option) but the "KT Advanced" logo is in the same image, so I have no idea if the shaft is low-deflection or not. Although if I had to bet money, I would guess not.
  • The bumper is pretty easy to unscrew. Fury makes two types of butt extensions for the cue. One looks like it's supposed to be installed semi-permanently and the other looks like it's quick-release. They're all 8 inches. The product listings are a bit tricky to find on AliExpress. I just ordered the quick-release extension for $42 plus tax. There are also a bunch of third-party butt extensions that claim to be compatible with Fury cues; some are listed on Amazon.
  • I ordered the cue via AliExpress from a Chinese vendor called "Adicto al billar" (which means "Addicted to billiards" in Spanish... why not?). It was shipped the following day via UPS and arrived on my doorstep 8 days later. The whole experience was really good.
As for how the cue plays, I won't bore everybody with my subjective opinions. I think it plays about as well as any other well-made cue. I'm very happy with it. I would definitely recommend Fury cues, and AliExpress, to friends and family.
Got this exact cue avail. if anyone's looking. Haven't posted ad yet. 250 conus

RD123

I have 2 Chinese cues with carbon fibre shafts. $226. Came with a case, extension, glove, chalk and a couple of tips. Kids bought it for me for Xmas. By the time I got around to using it I noticed it had a very small warp to it. It didn't really bother me much as it was barely noticeable. So it was past the amazon return time and sent the seller a msg. He replaced the cue with no questions aske and sent me a brand new cue with all the extras and did t ask for the old cue back.

Being carbon fibre it took me awhile to get used to. I have fell in love with this cue. My Lucasi L-H40 and Poison Strycknine stay on the wall now. I had my doubts about the Chinese cues but I must say these 2 are amazing.

MangoRun Carbon Fiber Pool Cue Stick 12.5mm Low Deflection Billiard Cue Stick Case Set with Little Extension https://a.co/d/4fBcW2X

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have 2 Chinese cues with carbon fibre shafts. $226. Came with a case, extension, glove, chalk and a couple of tips. Kids bought it for me for Xmas. By the time I got around to using it I noticed it had a very small warp to it. It didn't really bother me much as it was barely noticeable. So it was past the amazon return time and sent the seller a msg. He replaced the cue with no questions asked and sent me a brand new cue with all the extras and did t ask for the old cue back.

Being carbon fibre it took me awhile to get used to. I have fell in love with this cue. My Lucasi L-H40 and Poison Strycknine stay on the wall now. I had my doubts about the Chinese cues but I must say these 2 are amazing.

MangoRun Carbon Fiber Pool Cue Stick 12.5mm Low Deflection Billiard Cue Stick Case Set with Little Extension https://a.co/d/4fBcW

now thats customer service......(y)

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm glad you're happy with your Fury. Based on your review I did some research and found very, very few options for cues with no-wrap handles. There were a couple but they were all decals, no inlays. Disappointing...

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you tried to use any aftermarket shafts on that pin? If so, any issues?

I do look at cheaper radial cues to avoid taking my nice custom to “low places”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you tried to use any aftermarket shafts on that pin? If so, any issues?

I do look at cheaper radial cues to avoid taking my nice custom to “low places”.
Actually I have. I tried a friend's Cuetec Cynergy, a Predator Revo, a Predator wood shaft (314?), and a brand-new Predator Z-3.

One of them went on really easily (I forget which one) so I had the feeling that it was a tiny bit loose, but I can't imagine that that matters once you get it screwed down.

The new Z-3 was too tight and I would have had to get it tapped if I had bought it.

The other two fit perfectly, with a good-feeling amount of effort required to screw together.

Given all this, I have to figure that the Fury's joint is pretty much perfect and any incompatibility with a radial shaft is an issue with the shaft...