Gambling As Better Player

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
I have a teammate that I gamble with very regularly and I would venture to guess that I have won over 95% of the matches we have played. We usually play for 50-100 and I almost always let him pick the game and the race. He refuses any type of spot from me no matter what I offer. He drinks a fair amount and I very very rarely drink when I play. It got so bad at one point that I just kept refusing to play. A few weeks later he kept kept barking and I finally agreed to play a race to 5 for 100. I won 5-0 and he paid as he always does. The next week comes around and he is barking again and we play again and I win again.

So my question here is I guess that I feel like I am taking advantage of it and dont really want to keep playing the guy even when he doesnt really have a chance. I would rather spot him and have to outrun whatever the spot is. I dont really think he is improving at all from our little sessions and know that it is doing my game no good because I hardly have to try to win against him. What to do? I mean I like the extra cash each week, but at some point I have to tell him to find someone else to play right?

mistamikel

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell him you will only play him sober, no boze.
See how his game is then.
If you're still winning at a good %, offer up a small spot and see if he accepts.
You could also make it like he's doing you the favor by giving him the spot. He's "helping" you deal with a higher pressure situation.

On the 2nd hand, if he's only into boozing it and gambling, and can afford it (this is key depending your type of character), go balls to the wall and spank him like took the gem out of your doughnut.
If he can't afford it, but has an ego complex, find a new game.

Just my $0.02

phreaticus

Tell him you will only play him sober, no boze.
See how his game is then.
If you're still winning at a good %, offer up a small spot and see if he accepts.
You could also make it like he's doing you the favor by giving him the spot. He's "helping" you deal with a higher pressure situation.

On the 2nd hand, if he's only into boozing it and gambling, and can afford it (this is key depending your type of character), go balls to the wall and spank him like took the gem out of your doughnut.
If he can't afford it, but has an ego complex, find a new game.

Just my $0.02
Thats pretty sound advice above. But the best solution is to post directions to your poolhall and provide intros!

🤣✌️

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
how about just keep playing him and winning his money. that is what he wants and it makes both of you happy as long as you see it for what it is.

terpdad

Registered
I have no idea why you wouldn't keep playing him if he isn't objecting unless he's an alcoholic or gambling addict & you're looking out for him, but I'm not getting that from your post.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play races to 10 for $50, pay $100 for 10-0.
Give him some table time at a reduce cost with motivation to play all out.

middleofnowhere

Registered
I have no idea why you wouldn't keep playing him if he isn't objecting unless he's an alcoholic or gambling addict & you're looking out for him, but I'm not getting that from your post.
There is obviously something wrong with the guy. Just quit playing him. I'm curious, does he do this with anyone else? I knew a guy like that once who would only play me. People were always trying to get him to play but he would wait for me. I beat him for thousands.

My guy could play a little though and I did give him spots but he seemed to always manage to lose. I think he was crazy and could not control himself.
I need to add he was not married and was a house painter. He made cash money everyday. He pissed away his money in other ways and probably never saved anything. I had no reason to feel sorry or guilty about it.
It's hard to figure people out sometimes.

Last edited:

cjl0s

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Obviously he knows by now he has no chance and enjoys playing you for companionship. I used to occasionally gamble small stakes with a guy that was way better than me. It was the only way he would play me or anyone was for money. He needed the money. You should accommodate him. I had no problem and I learned a lot. It does not sound like he cares other than hanging out. So be it.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Pound his ass til he quits. He's a sucker. I used to dream of playing people like this.

How does that work out when your one being taking advantage of❓

Maybe the guy being talked about in Post one is addicted to gambling? Yes some people do have problems with gambling, drugs, women, and booze.

dquarasr

Registered
Make matches lessons. Coach him. “What are you doing on this shot?” “Where are you expecting the CB to end up?” “Explain to me why you selected this shot.” Etc.

That way he’s getting something even more out of it rather than learning how to lose and learning empirically from your shot selections and technique.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Some people can not play under the pressure of money at risk, it is distraction to their brain. Those never win, because ability to think is clouded.

Some people should not gamble, some people should not take advantage of others. If they know they are taking advantage of weak minded people.

JMHO

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is he a good friend? Or just a casual team-mate?

If he's a good friend, put all the money back that you win from him. When you get enough saved, pay a professional to give him lessons. Then he might play a bit more sporty and be more of a challenge for you