GC 1 with newer rails and other issues. Help please.

Just brought home GC1 and was prepping for shims and new cloth. This came out of a house but was clearly a commercial table previously. Rubber is not dead. Gave 4.5 rails when tested at purchase and hit dead true. Rubber says Match Monarch cushions. Brunswick Balke Collender
Sticker says monarch super speed. Looks original to me.

The aprons sanded down to beautiful bare wood with no flaws. The rails however have been recovered many times and do not have figure 8 mounting plates. No clue what model they are from.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate those of you who take pride in your work!

Attachments

• 20210412_124556.jpg
    20210412_124556.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 20210412_124546.jpg
    20210412_124546.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
You likely have a later model Gold Crown I, and the rails may likely be original to the table. The cushions certainly look to be the originals.
However, you didn't ask a question, so I'm not sure what help you are seeking.

You likely have a later model Gold Crown I, and the rails may likely be original to the table. The cushions certainly look to be the originals.
However, you didn't ask a question, so I'm not sure what help you are seeking.
That is what I was wondering. Did GC1 come without the figure 8 plates and is this original rubber. Everything else on the table says post 63 GC1 as it has adjustable feet and correct label on stretcher. I hope Mr. Chambers is still building rails as these are pretty ugly in all respects. I know the staple wood can be repaired but there are other cosmetic issues. I have had to rebuild both leg bases as they had been patched by Helen Keller. Got the table cheap and numbers matching Brunstone so no complaints. Thanks Brad for answering the question I forgot to ask!

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is what I was wondering. Did GC1 come without the figure 8 plates and is this original rubber. Everything else on the table says post 63 GC1 as it has adjustable feet and correct label on stretcher. I hope Mr. Chambers is still building rails as these are pretty ugly in all respects. I know the staple wood can be repaired but there are other cosmetic issues. I have had to rebuild both leg bases as they had been patched by Helen Keller. Got the table cheap and numbers matching Brunstone so no complaints. Thanks Brad for answering the question I forgot to ask!
Yes, later GCI's came with the floating nut plate, adjustable feet, etc. I agree with Brad as the rubber looks to be the original Monarch SuperSpeed. If you are planning to replace the rubber, the subrail bevel will need to be adjusted to properly accept modern K55 profile cushions. Unless the formica is hammered, I'd fix the wood underneath and keep the original rails. That's old growth hardwood that is most likely more dense and heavier than new rails.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Yes, later GCI's came with the floating nut plate, adjustable feet, etc. I agree with Brad as the rubber looks to be the original Monarch SuperSpeed. If you are planning to replace the rubber, the subrail bevel will need to be adjusted to properly accept modern K55 profile cushions. Unless the formica is hammered, I'd fix the wood underneath and keep the original rails. That's old growth hardwood that is most likely more dense and heavier than new rails.
I concur that those are the original cushions, that is the exact rubber I took off of my GC1 that was all original from Brunswick. For some reason the picture of the little dude on the rubber looked like an Astronaut to me.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I had my GC I top rail underwood totally Replaced by Dave Isaccs/Diamond table rep. Ft. Collins CO.
It was because of excessive stapling/wood damage from use.
Tells me, the players of that time/Medina liked this particular table and it shows by hand wear.
This is my GCI, also replaced slates and everything.
Notice excessive Formica wear on the top rails from 30 yrs of play at FFC 38th & Sheridan Lakewood CO.

Attachments

• 0930201228.jpg
    0930201228.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I had my GC I top rail underwood totally Replaced by Dave Isaccs/Diamond table rep. Ft. Collins CO.
It was because of excessive stapling/wood damage from use.
Tells me, the players of that time/Median liked this particular table and it shows by hand wear.
This is my GCI, also replaced slates and everything.
Notice excessive Formica wear on the top rails from 30 yrs of play at FFC 38th & Sheridan Lakewood CO.
Thats cool, an original GCI with "patina", very nice. If only that wear could talk and tell us the stories of yesteryear.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Mine can, just find Terry McFadden or Hank Rivera (2 prior room owners of this location) or any pool bum like myself over 70 in Denver or CO.