Getting Better...

SlateMan

Registered
And yet a computer engineer starts off at $130K, and does not have to travel, or for that mater, practice.
More important, they also don't have to the employer portion of the employment taxes (.0765), they probably have medical ($12,000 year benefit), and some kind of retirement plan (10.5%) employer contribution. That's like 35K more in benefits the engineer makes.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Taxes for anybody can be interesting, especially traveling competitors. A man traveling the bull riding circuit not long before it got big "Made" $120,000 one year. Since that gross translated into points he was the world champion. He lost so much money he almost had to go back to working for a living.

In the old days the write offs and such were crazy enough that if you owned the real estate your business was sitting on and watched when you made equipment purchases you could live very well losing money every year. One year my accountant called me. "Buddy, I have just did some rough figures but you are $38,000 in the hole" I told him I wasn't a farmer, cook the books so I make eight or ten thousand anyway! Both returns would have been equally valid, just missed some deductions on the second pass.

Hu

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
maybe there are thousands of available jobs that will leave you with more in your pocket than a tournament pool player.
unfortunately a pool player near the top of the heap makes around the bottom tier of what any other sport makes.

even a mid level smaller stakes cash poker player that is good makes more than the best pool players a year and doesnt have any travel expenses.
the tournament poker players, most starve.

its a great hobby for sure. a profession no.