Giving Up The Table

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Okay, I get it, What's that song line?

"I'm just a guy who's intentions are good...
please don't let me be misunderstood.."

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread pretty much ran its course. I’ll definitely be more mindful of what’s most fun for everyone next time. The responses here will help me lighten up. In appreciation I’ll share a picture of what they have framed on the wall next to the table.

908293e85db6640fa3200d6e1e3ad2cb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tonight I went to my favorite local bar with karaoke, darts and a side section with two Valley tables. I’m well known in there as a good shot among the bar folk. Usually the tables are occupied in challenge pool (throw your quarters on the rail and stay on until you lose).

Tonight was slower. I walk in with one table occupied by a group an another open. I hop on the open table and I’m banging racks of 9-ball and then tossing up the remainder g six balls and shooting them in rotation order until someone challenges me.

I find a strong player and we lock horns for about five racks and then he saunters off. I start banging solo again until I get another challenger. I’m pumping in $1.50 in quarters at a pace that’s draining my two quarter rolls faster than I’d like.

As I’m hitting them, a guy comes up and asks if I’m done playing the other guy. I say sure, do you want to play? He says yeah. I say, cool put some quarters up and we will play. He mentions no he wants to play his girlfriend. I say I’m on the table know but if he beats me he can take over the table. He then just stands there saying nothing with quarters in his hand. So I go back to hitting the balls on the table. I even need to ask him to move out of the way of a shot. Eventually he slinks off.

I find another guy I know to play. I can overhear someone tell my opponent that I’m an a**hole. I know I could have shown more charisma and gave up the table but I did come out to play. I wasn’t rude at all but I wasn’t about to leave the table.

Any advice on how to handle situations like that?

If you want to keep playing with yourself, keep the table.
If you are tired of eating all your quarters, let them have the table.
Chances are they will play 1 game and then you can have it back.

racetoday

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been in the "exact" same situation as the OP has many times in my past.

The trick is to take the time to explain to them how bar challenge tables work.... and they if they want to do a 2 person rental to perhaps give them advise on where a local pool hall is.

A lot of people simply do not quite understand how it works.

I do not fault the OP....

Having said that, I have told them on occasion, yes, you can shoot your girl for a few games, I'll give you that courtesy, but when challenge players arrive, you turn the table back over to me. Most will say no problem.

Player

I'm your huckleberry
Silver Member
You're supposed to suggest the three of you play cut-throat. Then eliminate and embarrass the shit out of him first in front of his girl. Finally let her win and take her home.

I like this idea the best.:thumbup::thumbup:

Around here anyway, you did the right thing. If you got the table you got the table.

Not your fault he was ignorant of how things work. At least now he knows.

You gave him a free pool lesson!

Dexter36

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually just offer to play them doubles and let them pick my partner. Levels the field a bit, makes it more sporty. You can embrace the challenge without running out the bar guests. Once they start asking pool questions to learn, they usually buy me beer or shots!?

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want to stay on a table all night, go find a pool hall and pay for table time. What you did is definitely a dick move. That table isn't necessarily there for you to show off how great you are, it's for customers. And as the other posters have said, you ruined someone else's fun. Everything else I can think of to say, has been covered already. You are the very definition of a banger.