Gold Crown I new cushion questions

ehb86

Registered
I'd like to put new cushions on my GCI as well as new cloth. I'm the second owner of the table and I have not used the table much for five or six years but am now back into playing and the cushions feel stiff now and it definitely needs cloth.

In all the reading I've done in old threads it appears that to use modern cushions the bevel needs to be changed on the rails. I'm also considering tightening the pockets a bit, so can you extend the cushions a bit to tighten things up and adjust the bevel with strips behind the new cushions? Or do you need to take the rails off and re cut the angle?

I will try to find a good table person here in Washington State, I'm just trying to understand the process, so I'm clear on what the options might be.

Thanks for any input, I've searched but didn't see a direct answer, or if I did, I didn't quite follow it.

Thanks

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The table has to be disassembled to recover. The rails have their bevel adjusted individually on a table saw to properly accept new K55 rubber. To tighten the pockets, wood is added at the rail end (pocket opening), the pocket openings are cut to achieve the desired pocket size, new rubber installed, facings installed and new cloth installed.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The table has to be disassembled to recover. The rails have their bevel adjusted individually on a table saw to properly accept new K55 rubber. To tighten the pockets, wood is added at the rail end (pocket opening), the pocket openings are cut to achieve the desired pocket size, new rubber installed, facings installed and new cloth installed.

Yeah, what he said. ^^^^^^^^^^^

Its a moot point if you are going to tighten the pockets but I had the cushions replaced and pockets tightened on my GCI, I was really surprised how nice the rubber was after all those years, they were the original Superspeed Monarchs with the little pool player person on the labels.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Using a table saw may work... But, it's not the best way to achieve a consistent quality product.

Proper modification requires the use of custom purpose-built tooling.

ehb86

Registered
Thank you Geoff and fastone, appreciate the input. I'm not really sure I want to change the pockets from stock, still considering it, so I may just need new cushions and definitely cloth.