rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had mine done in Almost Chrome to replicate the original clear anodize finish. The coater had to do some pieces several times due to outgassing; a common problem in coating old cast pieces.

51023822551_202b2f0ddb_c.jpg

51023092123_70db86f6ae_c.jpg

49603498421_eaf014b802_c.jpg

1enick72

Registered
I took mine to have them powder coated (GC4). They had some pitting in the chrome so we blasted them and light sanding and even with the special primer used for aluminum he could not stop the outgassing causing bubbles in the finish. I have prepped them again and sprayed with etching primer. High build primer next, block sand, color and satin finish in the next couple days.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I took mine to have them powder coated (GC4). They had some pitting in the chrome so we blasted them and light sanding and even with the special primer used for aluminum he could not stop the outgassing causing bubbles in the finish. I have prepped them again and sprayed with etching primer. High build primer next, block sand, color and satin finish in the next couple days.
What powder color were you going for?

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to have a GC1. The castings were solid alumium. Couldn't you just buff these out? Are later versions something less than solid aluminium?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to have a GC1. The castings were solid alumium. Couldn't you just buff these out? Are later versions something less than solid aluminium?
When the GCI's & II's left the factory the castings (cast pot aluminum) were a semi gloss sheen polish with a clear anodize. When I was restoring my table, I inquired about having the castings polished and reanodized like the OEM finish as I had the extruded aluminum rail trim pieces polished and clear anodized. The cost for the pocket casings was $800-$900 if I recall correctly. The owner of the shop told me there was also no guarantee they wouldn't rainbow. He said it is very common with old cast pieces to have a rainbow effect when polished and reanodized. I suppose one could forgo the anodizing but a majority of the cost I was quoted was the labor to sand and polish. That's when I decided to go the powder coating route and settled on Almost Chrome which I think is a very good compromise and mimics the OEM finish quite nice. The feet on my table are the later nickel plated steel pot metal version. They were pretty badly pitted and the cost of restoration and plating was also going to be cost prohibitive so I powder coated them as well. The powder did a good job in masking 99% of the flaws.

Here's a close up showing a casting and the extruded rail trim. Looks pretty close.
IMG_5437 copy.jpg