Golden Opportunity presented by the Brunswick Corporation

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Includes the introduction of the radical new table design, the AR-6100, aka Brunswick Gold Crown. Includes Willie Mosconi. As for Golden Opportunity, I show this to some of my pool playing friends and all they see are fish.

Catch making the 8-ball on break :)

Last edited:

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Includes the introduction of the radical new AR-6100, aka Brunswick Gold Crown. Willie Mosconi

Catch making the 8-ball on break :)

There was something about the Gold Crown that made pool a lot of fun. I think the GC had a combination of playability and generous pockets. The result was more balls run per inning than today's pro spec tables.

I have grown to like the Diamonds, but had more fun playing on a Gold Crown. Great video...

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
yes had wide pockets so fun players could make balls and not be frustrated. tables were brushed and vacuumed every day at least once. rates were for the table if two or more played. this way a whole family could come in without going broke for the night, and then wanting to come back next week.

a friendly person behind the counter usually an owner that was pleasnt and helpful. now its a minimum wage person who hates his job with an absentee owner, in most rooms.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Brunswick had good and bad ideas.
...lighting up the room light a high school gym was one of the bad ones. :(

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Place i grew up playing in was one of these. Cue City in Tulsa,Ok. was a post-'Hustler' all Brunswick family spot. Had 30 GC1's with gold cloth and the bright overhead lighting. Pockets were generous and people came to kill time/have fun. Was open 25yrs til the owner(orig. owner's son) wanted to do something else and closed it. Lot of great hours spent in that place.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Grew up playing in one of these rooms in Michigan, Campus Q.

Sadly it's going the way of the barbox now, I haven't been there in probably 6 years.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Kinda cool seeing this dated video. Besides my GCI I also have the original triangle (as in the video), original Centennials, cue rack, and Brunswick 1 piece cues all from 1971 when it was purchased new from Brunswick.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Place i grew up playing in was one of these. Cue City in Tulsa,Ok. was a post-'Hustler' all Brunswick family spot. Had 30 GC1's with gold cloth and the bright overhead lighting. Pockets were generous and people came to kill time/have fun. Was open 25yrs til the owner(orig. owner's son) wanted to do something else and closed it. Lot of great hours spent in that place.
All 9 footers?