Gonzo Diver JB Case 4x8 Butterfly Review

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
My first carrying case was my hand. For a short time, I actually just carried the cue into the pool hall without a case like a giant pair or chop sticks. It was just a used M. Fats that someone gave my dad and he gave to me.
Then I finally broke down and bought a cheap $35 case off Amazon. I remember seeing the nicer cases in my search and thinking why spend more on a case than the cues are worth.

Later when I realized I was in the game for the long haul, I purchased a couple of nice Pechauers. Then of course, I thought why am I putting these beautiful cues in such a crappy case?
The quest for a better bag began. My research kept pointing me to a JB Case. I really liked the cue protection they offered. I already had done a lot of my own modifications to the case I was using to make it tolerable. I added a cut up wash cloth to pad the openings and make the fit snugger and softer. I reinforced the bottom interior, added D-rings and an extra pocket.

picture.php
E278CDCB-776C-49F4-A798-715CA9D2B873.jpeg

I was seeing great reviews and great protection for the JBs. Then I saw I could design it the way I wanted with their online case designer so I started playing around with that. As noted in other reviews the designer has some flaws, but it is still better than anything else out there. Some options are missing, and I am sure they will update it when they can. If you are just changing colors, moving pockets, or adding D-rings it works fine. For a more complex design you can make a pretty good mock-up of what you want and then work with them to tweak the final design. I was very happy with the interaction during the whole process. I worked with Asia, and she was very helpful and pleasant to work with.

picture.php
4182A2EF-CAC6-4F3A-92CD-0179DF5A5D19.jpg

As much as I like the leather cases, they are out of my price range. Nylon was my direction and I liked the idea of the butterfly case. After seeing a bunch of custom case examples online I started thinking about what I could do that was cool and unique to really make it mine. After hours of searching for the perfect image to add to the case I was coming up empty. Then I looked across the room and there it was all the time. Framed on the wall was a pen and ink drawing my Dad made for me many years ago when I owned my Scuba business. Not only was the image just what I wanted, but the layout was a perfect fit for the top of the case.

I scanned the image and sent it in, but we soon determined it would look terrible as a line drawing. I started to colorize the image, but I don’t have good enough software to do it justice, so I let their artist take over. After a some back and forth to tweak the image we got it looking how I wanted and still be able to transfer it to an embroidery. The text on the pocket is an inside joke to myself. I am a programmer so wanted something that related to coding and pool. It says “break cue” using the same font I usually code in.

My first choice was a 3x6, but the 4x8 is only an inch wider so why not. The image has more room and if I ever need the extra space, I’ll have it. Nothing was built yet so they let me make the change. At the same time, I decided to add the other strap to make it backpack straps. They were very flexible about adding or subtracting options. I also added an extra D-ring in between the backpack D-rings so I can hang the bag from a hook to keep it off the dirty floor.

My overall experience was excellent. I was informed at the beginning it would take longer than normal right now. Nobody wants to wait, but with the all the back and forth to get the artwork right, I thought 3 ½ months was reasonable. The case is very well built and looks really great.

I am going to use it for a while to see how it handles in the wild. I know I will love the case, but in smaller bars I am wondering if it might be too much bag. I may end up with 2x3 rugged for those situations…we’ll see. Update: It happened see review here.

Description overview:
  • 4x8 Butterfly with leather handles
  • Backpack straps
  • Custom Embroidery
  • Embroidered text on pocket
  • Extra D-Ring on back
  • Black nylon case with purple pocket accents and purple stitching
  • Purple interior
  • Gray backpack pads and pocket zipper pulls
  • Purple zipper pulls on main case

So Here it is!

CC6BAA6E-DDD6-4448-B59F-64496074A9FC.jpeg

785319A9-9D7C-45E2-AB9B-B9651AF85BD2.jpeg

96E659A0-8381-4C6E-932B-D7805CAD201A.jpeg

picture.php

IMG_7493.JPEG

1097D5ED-3CE6-4B6F-8E0B-DABE0FFE7119.jpeg

picture.php
BB4AE0BD-2F46-4A14-9D1D-B12B6FAB954A.jpeg

31172DA6-A88F-45E8-B1E0-83E30D607152.jpeg

8D9453D1-4B56-4224-993F-A52366E32E8A.jpeg

Last edited:

tabi1

Registered
Very different design, and you are indeed correct that JB does make excellent cases and the choices of designs are almost unlimited. For storage purposes I prefer the 4 x 8 rugged cases but for ease of use i like my butterfly case. I find that I utilize my smaller (2x4) rugged case when i go out just for the simple fact that the 4x8's are overkill and a bit heavy fully loaded.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
man, lol who wouldnt love playing there, congrats on the case, and the killer spot.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Thank you for trusting us to protect your cues. Also I LOVE the fact that you modified your old case to work as you needed it to work. That's how I got started in case making.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Thank you for trusting us to protect your cues. Also I LOVE the fact that you modified your old case to work as you needed it to work. That's how I got started in case making.

During my years owning a Scuba business I switched certification agencies. The new agency's moto was "Quality Over Quantity". We focused on teaching fewer people, but spent more time teaching them to be better more comfortable divers. This increased the percentage of people that continued diving regularly after getting certified, and that would also be more inclined to buy their own equipment. We stopped teaching people how to dive and started teaching how to be a diver.

Your dedication to a quality product is what sold me. I'm glad the outside is as impressive as the inside.

P.S. Send me my quote so I can decide what you will be making for me.

Update: My 2x3 Hybrid order is in. Now I have to wait..... I will post as soon as I get it. My 2x3 review here.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
i have a question about the artwork, i have an idea for a unique case with the added artwork similar to yours.
do they contact you to go over fine details about the designs before they start making it?

im just a little leery since you have to pay for the case first and the mock ups i dont have any way to add notes.

how did that all go with your experience? @SSDiver2112

Last edited:

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
i have a question about the artwork, i have an idea for a unique case with the added artwork similar to yours.
do they contact you to go over fine details about the designs before they start making it?

im just a little leery since you have to pay for the case first and the mock ups i dont have any way to add notes.

how did that all go with your experience? @SSDiver2112

Yes I had a great experience with them.

The Original artwork was simple pen and ink that I digitized, but it didn't work on a black or dark background. I decided to let their artist colorize it. We went back and forth until I was happy with the image. I did some small edits on my computer like adding the dive flag background and some other small changes. Some changes I just explained, and they sent me the update to approve.

Once it was fully approved, they sent me images of the embroidery to approve before it was actually assembled.

Just be very clear and detailed with what you want and document it in the emails so there is no question. There was a mistake in one of the pockets and they fixed it with no question even when I offered a way out for them.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Yes I had a great experience with them.

The Original artwork was simple pen and ink that I digitized, but it didn't work on a black or dark background. I decided to let their artist colorize it. We went back and forth until I was happy with the image. I did some small edits on my computer like adding the dive flag background and some other small changes. Some changes I just explained, and they sent me the update to approve.

Once it was fully approved, they sent me images of the embroidery to approve before it was actually assembled.

Just be very clear and detailed with what you want and document it in the emails so there is no question. There was a mistake in one of the pockets and they fixed it with no question even when I offered a way out for them.
thats good to know

but they contact you to go over each detail, after you make the payment and put in the order correct?
thats my main question im wanting to know, and thats great to know they will help with the colorizing because i know mine will need touching up here and there

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
thats good to know

but they contact you to go over each detail, after you make the payment and put in the order correct?
thats my main question im wanting to know, and thats great to know they will help with the colorizing because i know mine will need touching up here and there

I put in my order as best I could with the case builder on the site. Then I emailed my own detailed explanation with my mockup after which they gave me the final cost.

After I paid we when back and forth via phone and email. Until it was done.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I put in my order as best I could with the case builder on the site. Then I emailed my own detailed explanation with my mockup after which they gave me the final cost.

After I paid we when back and forth via phone and email. Until it was done.
I remember when you first posted this and it looks as good today as it did back then! 👍

My only complaint about JB is that his design site is completely unusable for me.

I absolutely accept the fact that it's on me, but these days there's no excuse for something being a lot more user-friendly and intuitive.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I remember when you first posted this and it looks as good today as it did back then! 👍

My only complaint about JB is that his design site is completely unusable for me.

I absolutely accept the fact that it's on me, but these days there's no excuse for something being a lot more user-friendly and intuitive.
Thanks. I do love it but I don’t need 4 cues normally so my 2x3 gets a lot more use.

As a programmer I know what could be done. It would be expensive to build a better one unless someone had the time and wanted the challenge.

chenjy9

How effective is this case at protecting cues, especially compared to the rugged hard case? I kind of want a 2x3 butterfly case, but am concerned about this aspect.