Great, Grate, Great!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome to have someone who is an expert in this funny game!
I have played (probably 200+) hours of 3-c, and have a practice buddy against whom I play regularly. He plays bad, so bad, in fact, that he plays caroms and I play 3c. Sets are pretty close, but I am loser (for the time$). My point is that I am not lost on the felt, so...
I am often left with a shot (WEI does not work on my computer) that boggles my mind- All 3 balls are approximately in center of table. My CB around headstring, one OB at foot-spot, the other below the foot spot, maybe 1/2 way between foot-spot & bottom rail. How do I go 3+ there?!

zeeder

Will queue for cues
Silver Member
Black-Balled said:
I have played (probably 200+) hours of 3-c, and have a practice buddy against whom I play regularly. He plays bad, so bad, in fact, that he plays caroms and I play 3c. Sets are pretty close, but I am loser (for the time$). My point is that I am not lost on the felt, so...
I am often left with a shot (WEI does not work on my computer) that boggles my mind- All 3 balls are approximately in center of table. My CB around headstring, one OB at foot-spot, the other below the foot spot, maybe 1/2 way between foot-spot & bottom rail. How do I go 3+ there?!

Have you tried going here to download the flash player?

Deno J. Andrews

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black-Balled said:
There are several ways to do it, but I must chart the shots for you. Try to download the flash player and see if you can get the WEI table to work for you. I will concurrently chart the shots for you and post them here later today.
Deno

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Deno J. Andrews said:
There are several ways to do it, but I must chart the shots for you. Try to download the flash player and see if you can get the WEI table to work for you. I will concurrently chart the shots for you and post them here later today.
Deno

Thanks to both of you!
Zack- For my own safety, I can't download media (at work) :rolleyes:
Deno- I look fwd to your WEI!

Edit:- told the IT folk I needed it, they said OK

START(
%AN9O4%BM6\8%CF5P3%DM6^5%EL8]1%FL0\4%GK6\5%HM4]9%IO0\2%JL2]7
%KJ4\2%LM0]9%ML0]4%NJ7\6%OL9]5%Ph0S2
)END

Last edited:

Deno J. Andrews

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Black-Balled said:
Here are three solutions in no particular order. They are all very common and valid, though some are highly sensitive and unless you practice them constantly, you can't expect to make them very often. At the pro level, this shot is probably only about a 60% chance to make at any given time. The top of the top probably make it between 60%-80%. Basically it is difficult!

First solution- "Plus Two Shot." This shot is common. You don't have a good angle to make a simply "natural" 3-cushion shot, so instead you go to the top rail, then the side rail, across to the other side rail for your third rail. This speed should be medium speed. You might have to adjust your hit to anywhere between A,B, and C depending on the table conditions:
START(%BH5O6%CN8O6%Ei8O6%GN9P8%HY5Z8%Ir8C2%Js6D2%Ki2O3%Qs5C4%Rs4B7
%Ss6D4%WJ4P4%XN3P2%eA3a3)END

Second solution- "Reverse shot." This is super sensitive and highly variable depending on the condition of the cloth and balls. The shot works best on newer cloth with clean balls. If the cloth is older or dirty, the balls must be very clean and polished for it to work well. Notice that on the first rail there are spots at A,B, and C. You might need to hit anywhere between those spots to make the shot, or even slightly beyond depending on the table. Do not blast it, this is a finesse shot with lots of english, so you want to be way out on the ball and the speed is just greater than a roll:

START(%BH5O6%CN8O6%Ei8O6%GH5P6%HC3V5%IK5[8%J[9C3%Ki2O3%Q[2A7%RX3A7
%S]7A6%WL8P2%XI0P3%eC7a4)END

Third solution- "Off Ball Reverse." Although as a rule of thumb in billiards you want to go off a ball before going to the rail first, this shot is sort of an exception. Here you can go to either side of the first OB with some draw and reverse english. The slight draw will flatten the angle and the reverse will make it come straight off the side rail to make the third ball a bigger target. This is a very difficult shot, although a good player will make it look easy. In the diagram, I have show a partial line for the red ball. It will travel much farther than I have shown. I did not want to confuse the shot with too many lines. The point being that the red ball must be hit just right to make it avoid hitting the white immediately. The speed is medium on this shot:
START(%BH5O6%CN8O6%Ei8O6%GF6[5%HC0Q9%IH1C4%JO8O3%Ki2O3%UH2Q5%VF5[8%WC3S6%XN3P2%Yl8T6%Zs9W2%[s7W1%\g4[8%]g0[8%^B6S7%eC3b1)END

A top player will choose any of these solutions based on the subtleties of the exact layout, the conditions of the table and balls, and personal preference. There isn't really a standard shot here because of its variables and level of difficulty. I suggest you practice each solution equally. It will be discouraging for a while, but once you start to learn the angle of the table it gets much easier. Good luck learning the solutions. If you are ever in Chicago let me know and we can work on them together.

Deno Andrews

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks lots, Deno! I had tried the #3, as well as #1. I prefer the ball first options. Did you present those in order of difficulty?

And, now I want to go to Chicago :D . What have you done to my vacation plans!! :confused:

Deno J. Andrews

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Difficulty is relative to the player. Some will prefer each of the solutions because in this case there is not a clear cut answer. However, going off the ball first is a good shot most of the time. Make sure to try #2 as well! I hope these solutions open some doors for you on the carom table. The most important thing that these shots can articulate is that there are usually several options for shots.
Deno