Great people in our sport...

Banker Burt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all due respect, I am going to try and help my recent post about "Shaft Taper", but with remeberence of those who have left us, and surely would have had something good to offer all of us, beyond our perrenial discussions.
My heart goes out to those closest to Andy Grubb. i grew up in a pool room called the Jointd Cue, now still in business 35 years later. Operated by the Stonier family, Bill (deceased), Terry (deceased- Bill's son), and Sandy (Terrys' wife) and son David now continue this phenomenal poolroom.

While I did no know Andy personally, i feel as if I did. I think of how good it feels (as recently as last night playing in a JC Open tournement with a tough house of players - Amar Kang, Tony Chohan, Tinsley Johnson, Robert Aldana, etc., and by the way I got fourth), knowing that they (Andy & Terry) would have been looking out for their business in how to make it better for us; the players.

Out of respect for Terry (he was like an older brother to me), sounds much like many other roomowners that I know around the world. Terry was a very good 3-cushion and Pocket Billiards player. My initial poll was a bit decieving, in that the choices were oblique. The challlege was to see what you thought about the shaft, and its overall importance to the playability of a cue. I also mentioned how it is a players responsbility to undertsand their style in orfer to become the best they can be. in my case I took the advise of top players/cuemakers, and now adding your contribtions through this post, i have determine this -

Egos are good; this information produces knowledge. I also mentioned 100's of excellent cuemakers with available equipment. Then I mentioned how I came to the conclusion of how following th advise of a top player will lead to better results in my game.

I have a number of personal friends (very, very good players) that use Sigel & Hunter Cues and they would consider using no other cue to play.

The idea her is to figure out what you want from your game, and then develop it with very high quality information such as only champions can provide.

Banker Burt

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice post Burt and congratulations on a great finish. That certainly is a tough field.

Regards,
Dave

What? No poll for us to bicker over.....lol! You sound like a well rounded person with good thoughts for pool. You speak the truth.......I appologized to Don, and guess me and Blud madeup. We all have our opinions, and strong beliefs. And I guess we all could move over closer to the middle and......as RotKnee King said..........Can't we all just gets along!

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Banker Burt,

Bobby Hunter got most of his ideas from Joey Gold. Sigel received some training from Dan Janes of Joss cues. I taught Mike most of his learnings at my old shop in Houston about 10 years ago.

Mike also purchased his machinery from me. Mike works everyday and works very hard.

Bobby, still lives in Carson City, and also works hard at his craft. Both are fine folks, and good cuemakers.

blud

cheesemouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Banker Burt,
Thanks for the memory...In 1968 I was in the USAF stationed at McClellan in Sacramento. I got to know Terry S very well. He, Ted Ito and I would play $2 9-ball acouple nights a week for hours in the backroom. Terry was a super guy and loved his pool and poolroom. He was a great room operator with a memory atleast good for 15 years. I know that because it was probably 15 later when I returned to his room on Fruitridge for the first time and he called my by name, he remembered all the good times we had shoot'n pool.....what a great guy...thanks again for mentioning he and his family.

Banker Burt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To Blud & Cheesemouse,

Thank you for adding information to this delicate post in rememberance of Terry, and the humble compliments, Blud, about Bob and Mike. Bob has mentioned Joey and how most of the old school guys know their stuff, and this I am sure relative to Mike and Bob's success as cuemakers.
Ito is in the room every day, still running out and playing all comers. The Jointed Cue has not changed in 35 years, other than general improvements. The back room is still the best place in the world to play.
Banker Burt

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice thread! I play regularly at JC and can appreciate what you're saying BB. Just to add a little more to this thread, from what I've heard playing there, is that Terry and family have done business with the same group of vendors for years and most of their business is done by the shake of the hand. That kind of tells you what kind of stand-up people they are. When Terry died, the funeral was standing room only and it was a huge church. People got up and talked about what a great guy Terry was for hours! That was a pretty good reference for a position in that big poolroom in the sky!!

blud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like Banker Burt, is a nice guy and also willing to ask questions and not afraid to learn.
rock on Burt.
blud