Greatest games in history

jmc007

New member
Greatest one pocket games in history

I think it was 1969+/-. I am getting older now, and just don't remember. The scene is the basement billiard room below the grocery store (it may have been Safeway). At the time, it was the second largest pool room on the East Coast. Jack & Jill Billiards/Beenies Place (Bill Staton). Second 24 hours of play/at the end (around 2-3 in the AM). One Pocket action at $3,000 a game. Staton is down, and, It is Seattle Sams shot, with several balls clustered by Beenies pocket, and Sam is hugging the short rail/head rail. Sam studies the balls in front of Beenies pocket, and after 3-5 minutes, slams the balls, stunning the cue ball inplace, and sends 5-7 balls towards his pocket, and pockets one. Sam then proceeds to run out. Beenie pulls-up stating "I can't beat you today". Beenie goes to his office, and pulls out several thousand dollars and pays Sam off. Sam won $13,000 from Beenie over a 48 hour period.
****In my very limited career, it was one of the best games I ever witnessed*****

Most of the guys were not around to see the final action: Steve Gumphrey, Geese, etc. Even at Guys & Dolls/Suitland Maryland, I never saw that kind of action, although, I heard they had even better action at various times.(Bookies and Drug money flowing)
Within a few years, when the Gump (one the greatest 9 ball players in the world) won over 100K from some oil guy in Texas. Truly one the greatest nine ball players in history. IMHO
 
Last edited:
Back
Top