Half n half tip

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone messed with installing a tip of one hardness, then trimming down and installing another half of a tip with differing hardness?

Not sure what made me think of it, but curious to know if it's been done. I have no clue if there is any benefit. Would try it myself, but I've moved and no longer have access to a lathe :(

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why not buy a "half n half" pre made product? Navigator have several tips where the bottom layer is harder than the top layers.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has been done by many home people that change their own tips. It was common to leave around 1mm of the original tip on the cue and then to install the new tip on that.

PracticeChampion

I had a crazy ideal awhile back of using plastic or rubber as a tip and cutting a spiral, no ideal the depth but around the tip to give it a real soft but kinda spring like a shock.

I suppose it was more of a "I wonder what would happen if"

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve tried that. I installed a small piece of rubbery, pliable material on the ferrule and then installed a tip. Chris Hightower confirmed what I found out when I tried this - no draw whatsoever. I thought this would counteract the hardening of the tip over time. Boy was i wrong.

PracticeChampion

I’ve tried that. I installed a small piece of rubbery, pliable material on the ferrule and then installed a tip. Chris Hightower confirmed what I found out when I tried this - no draw whatsoever. I thought this would counteract the hardening of the tip over time. Boy was i wrong.
Makes sense actually, Well I'll check that off as a bad ideal LoL

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I had recently been shown a shaft with a "modified" tip to increase his draw shot, as he had problems doing it....I was asked to rectify the shaft, ....... I also explained...at no extra charge, there is NO tip that will compensate for a bad stroke, only practice with some advice. The pic is what the "other guy" installed, An elkmaster on the original tip....Laughed for 2 days.....
20210318_221134.jpg

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had recently been shown a shaft with a "modified" tip to increase his draw shot, as he had problems doing it....I was asked to rectify the shaft, ....... I also explained...at no extra charge, there is NO tip that will compensate for a bad stroke, only practice with some advice. The pic is what the "other guy" installed, An elkmaster on the original tip....Laughed for 2 days.....View attachment 594255
Could use a ferrule too. Heehee

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That picture is proof positive that everyone should take their cues to an experienced repairman. No way I would let anything like that out of my shop. Good catch Michael on the ferrule.

PracticeChampion

That picture is proof positive that everyone should take their cues to an experienced repairman. No way I would let anything like that out of my shop. Good catch Michael on the ferrule.
I'm new at doing my own tips, 5 so far and no way I'd allow my stuff to look like that lol

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry Dave, I read your post again and should have given you credit for your normal outstanding work and known you would not have let that go unattended. Sorry.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
That was NOT My work!.....That is the way I received it.
I had recently been shown a shaft with a "modified" tip to increase his draw shot, as he had problems doing it....I was asked to rectify the shaft, ....... I also explained...at no extra charge, there is NO tip that will compensate for a bad stroke, only practice with some advice. The pic is what the "other guy" installed, An elkmaster on the original tip....Laughed for 2 days....THIS IS NOT MY WORK, THIS IS THE WAY I RECEIVED IT. I did not take 'after' pictures. It now looks brandnew and has n Ultra Skin Ivory soft on it.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was NOT My work!.....That is the way I received it.
I apologize again Dave. I was trying to say the picture depicted something you would not allow out of your shop. I didn’t see an after photo. Just for reference, how did you fix that abomination?