I recently ran a few amateur local tournaments here in Glen Burnie, MD.
The format was as follows:
Entry = $45 ($5 to Green Fees)
Nine Ball, Double-elim, races 7/5
Tex-Ex, Nine on break gets spotted
Winner breaks, rack-your-own.
32-player limit.
I have had a few people suggest that if women are going to play in these tournaments I should charge them a discounted entry fee.
I disagreed with this (and still do). Here are my reasons:
1. If some of the women cannot play as good as the men they can choose another tournament. If you are going to give women a "break" because they don't have a real chance, then you cannot justify NOT giving some of the men a break who have no realistic chance of ever winning, but show up anyway.
2. Giving women a break simply because they are women is sexist.
3. Giving women a discount does not increase their chances of winning, and will lower the value of the prize funds.
I took a poll about this in the past and got very limited responses. So here's another one, this time it's open to everyone.
Looking forward to your responses and opinions.
(Note: The tournaments have had full fields every time, and have been quite successful)
The format was as follows:
Entry = $45 ($5 to Green Fees)
Nine Ball, Double-elim, races 7/5
Tex-Ex, Nine on break gets spotted
Winner breaks, rack-your-own.
32-player limit.
I have had a few people suggest that if women are going to play in these tournaments I should charge them a discounted entry fee.
I disagreed with this (and still do). Here are my reasons:
1. If some of the women cannot play as good as the men they can choose another tournament. If you are going to give women a "break" because they don't have a real chance, then you cannot justify NOT giving some of the men a break who have no realistic chance of ever winning, but show up anyway.
2. Giving women a break simply because they are women is sexist.
3. Giving women a discount does not increase their chances of winning, and will lower the value of the prize funds.
I took a poll about this in the past and got very limited responses. So here's another one, this time it's open to everyone.
Looking forward to your responses and opinions.
(Note: The tournaments have had full fields every time, and have been quite successful)