Heavy OB-1 shaft

perspicaz

o-^-*-^-o
Silver Member
Hi!

I have a radial pin cue that is a little rear weighted:

butt is 14.25oz
shafts are 3.80oz
balance is approx. 17.7 in. from the butt cap end.

This is not ideal but the problem got worse when I started using an OB-1 weighting 3.35oz; with it the cue is less than 18oz and balance is like 17.3 in. :(

I know the butt can be modified to be heavier and more forward balanced but I live in Europe and sending a cue to the US is very expensive. So I thought that if, somehow, I could get an OB-1 for my cue that weighs 4.0~4.5oz I could increase the overall weight and push the balance forward with minimum hassle (and use my current OB-1 as backup).

Could an OB-1 be made from a partial and some weight added to the joint area (via heavy collar material or other technique) so that it is heavier but keeps the low deflection characteristics? The butt has a plain 1/2 in. black collar.

Thanks.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Drill the pin hole in the shaft about 1" deeper and install a small pc of carbide, lead or other metal with epoxy. This will get you the wght. you want and will not affect the play of the shaft.

I've done this for a client and it was fine until he changed his mind and decided he wanted it lighter again. Heat from drilling out the metal caused the epoxy to let go, the metal spun and split the shaft in at least 4 places. It WAS an OB-1 shaft. You should consider the install of the metal to be permanent.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
perspicaz said:
Hi!

butt is 14.25oz
shafts are 3.80oz

This is not ideal but the problem got worse when I started using an OB-1 weighting 3.35oz; with it the cue is less than 18oz and balance is like 17.3 in. :(

I know the butt can be modified to be heavier and more forward balanced but I live in Europe and sending a cue to the US is very expensive. So I thought that if, somehow, I could get an OB-1 for my cue that weighs 4.0~4.5oz I could increase the overall weight and push the balance forward with minimum hassle (and use my current OB-1 as backup).

Could an OB-1 be made from a partial and some weight added to the joint area (via heavy collar material or other technique) so that it is heavier but keeps the low deflection characteristics? The butt has a plain 1/2 in. black collar.

Thanks.

Or you could try out the Universal Smart Shaft. It comes in LD and I have yet to see or play with one that was under 4oz. I have two and they are 4.55 and 4.3 respectively.

Regards,
Koop

Newton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
perspicaz said:
Hi!

butt is 14.25oz
shafts are 3.80oz

Thanks.

If you are really interested I could try to help you out. I'm OB cues dedicated retailer "Up north" (Norway). PM in case or drop me a email at info(at)kendocues.com and I'll do my best to help where the (at) is @.

Just so you know; The new OB cues are designed such a way that they could be adjusted in weight and balancing point all after you're own taste and feeling. Just mentioning this to you even if it was not directly related to you're problem.

Kent