Help me appreciate

EJmagnum186

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone help me to appreciate why "conversion cues" are getting such a crazy amount of money. I understand that some of it has to do w/ the maker who did it but seriously. My impression is that they are putting a pin in a house cue, making a shaft, maybe a wrap and finish.......Does that really equal thousands of dollars. I understand cue maker X getting top dollar for a cue they built from scratch but this conversion thing is CRAZY. Joe Callalucca made one for me that is lights out and I didn't pay anywhere near what I am seeing for "conversion, Hoppe & Titlist" . I know, to each their own.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone help me to appreciate why "conversion cues" are getting such a crazy amount of money. I understand that some of it has to do w/ the maker who did it but seriously. My impression is that they are putting a pin in a house cue, making a shaft, maybe a wrap and finish.......Does that really equal thousands of dollars. I understand cue maker X getting top dollar for a cue they built from scratch but this conversion thing is CRAZY. Joe Callalucca made one for me that is lights out and I didn't pay anywhere near what I am seeing for "conversion, Hoppe & Titlist" . I know, to each their own.

Titlists are old. It is pretty rare to find ones in in original condition now which are straight enough for conversion. Some cue makers don't even like doing conversions so there may not be many by said maker. Maker who converts makes a difference as to quality of work and materials used. A more expensive Titlist will have inlays, a wrap, a joint, custom rings. Shafts built with matching rings, etc.

Your simplification above would not justify a big price tag unless from a maker who has passed and didn't do that many conversions to begin with.

Dufferins are still easy to find and convert so the cost is much lower.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also the type of wood makes a difference too. Some Titlists are rarer than others. An ebony Titlist could be $800 to buy and then you have to add the costs of conversion by whichever maker you choose.