Help with Pool Experiment , 2016

David Marcus

"not bad,for a blind man"
Silver Member
I would appreciate some assistance with this post, it was originally posted in 2014 and the response was very helpful as part of the experiment. I would ask that if you have viewed this before that you not respond.
I'm looking for a fresh perspective as part of this experiment.
Thank you.
As for the rest of you...I'll be interested in your observations and opinions.
Thanks for participating

Original post 1/17/2014

I would like to test a theory with the help of my fellow AZers.

My theory is based on the premise that ranking a player as an A,B or C is at the very best subjective depending on where your own playing level is and just as importantly how you "perceive" your own playing level to be.
I would also submit that depending on where in the country or in the world that you play weighs in to your "regional ranking" system. Is an A player in Chicago the same as an A player in the South or vice versa?
Thirdly, the question is whether you can accurately judge a players level simply by watching a brief sample of them playing or in this case practicing?
I'll be very curious to hear what each of you think. Please watch the video below and post on this thread the level of player you think you are watching.
Please try to stick to straight whole letter grades for the sake of this exercise.
Thanks in advance for your assistance in this experiment.

http://youtu.be/uuDZmITYovg

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is no way I can watch 35 min of that. I watched some and skipped around a bit. If that is how they play when in a tournament or gambling session I think c would be very generous. It looks as though they are going out of their way to play bad, literally banging balls.

Last edited:

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From his stroke, a few of the banks he made, and the way he played shape on one shot, i think he's an 'a' player intentionally playing bad. Note, i only watched about 5 minutes of this junk.

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thats what I was thinking too. His stance was consistent, stroke was kinda level, and head right over the cue. Just running from shot to shot and banging them around.