High Humidity Play

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
The home Depot extension is a nice addition. Perhaps market as a set.
IMG_20220821_073653488_HDR.jpg

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
When I play and the humidity is high, I have issues with stroke and have to depend on an open bridge. What is everyone using to slick the shaft without talc?
Thanks,
Roscoe
I am not a glove guy either.

What chalk are you using? I find I have to clean my shaft often this time of year here, the humidity is high. The room I play in has good A/C.

I just wipe my shaft down a lot and wash my hand frequently(this is a must in a pool room no matter what IMO). If the tables are dirty, that contributes. Carbon fiber shafts are the easiest to keep clean and or to clean IMO. I use a CF to break with, my player is wood though. I just have a good routine of cleaning and seems to keep me in line. Hope you get your issues under control!

TFT

Roscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cleaned my shafts with a dampened Magic Eraser. Rubbed it down with a cloth to completely dry. I then applied carnuba wax, let it dry, and wiped it clean. I went to the clubhouse today, very humid. I had no problem with sticking. So I think I just need to keep the shafts clean and waxed this time of year. I do use a towel frequently while playing also. I use Master chalk...a light green that seems finer than some of the others. I also do not use a lot of chalk; just enough. I'm not a 'grinder'. Been playing for 45 plus years of straight pool.

Thanks to all for your opinions and sarcasms..

Roscoe

When I play and the humidity is high, I have issues with stroke and have to depend on an open bridge. What is everyone using to slick the shaft without talc?
Thanks,
Roscoe
Just wash & dry your hands with a soap that does NOT have any lotion in it. Keep a clean and dry towel with your cue case. You might want to buy a small bottle of dish soap and put some in a small "douche kit" bottle [to keep in your cue case] from the "travel size" display at your local large grocer. Also, there is a product used by gymnasts and rock face climbers that keeps your hands from sweating [read the directions for best results]. It's called "Tite Grip" ...

Btw, I prefer the "wash & dry" method.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a glove guy but thanks

Yep, but fighting the fact that it's the best solution when things get sticky won't change things. I don't use a glove normally, but carry one for when I do need it. Even with a CF shafts, if the place is humid and sticky, things are just off without a glove.

Reactions: bbb

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Go down through all the grits of micro sanding films on your shaft(sharpshooter billiards sells them on ebay). Next burnish the living crap out of the shaft using empty paper towel tubes, felt, microscope cleaning paper etc. You want the shaft smoother than glass and burnished hard.

Now use renaissance wax. Apply very thin/sparing coats, let coats dry for a minute or so and burnish the wax hard into the shaft. Repeat the thin layers of wax many times. The finish will be very hard and slick, no tackiness at all.

The trouble is, this whole process takes some time and it's easier performed with a lathe, even a drill based portable one like the sharpshooter. It has a learning curve. Your cue building/repair guy could do the same thing.

Once done like this your shaft will be good for months of hard play. If it feels like it needs it, burnish it with a microfiber cloth and you're good. Once it feels like the wax is no longer performing, you can clean the surface with 91% IPA and re-wax the shaft.

Dito ^^^

I'm in south Florida. High humidity is the norm. I don't like the glove or the talc/chalk. A clean waxed shaft along with occasional hand washing works great. I never have a problem.

Some other player's cues I have tried out before felt like they were coated in molasses. Don't know how they play like that.

Roscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I said earlier, I cleaned and waxed the shaft. I played yesterday and did not have an issue with the humidity. I also bought a cue candy talc bag but didn't need to use it yesterday.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure folks here advised on washing your hands with soap and water. That's my advice too.
Any carry a cloth to wipe your shaft. If your hands are sweaty, so will be your shaft. Likely mentioned before too.

But,
In the semi old days 70's & 80's while playing on shag carpet, the tables played different when it was raining vs not. Even with AC. Haven't played pool much for years but when I did, it seemed like the rails were more lively, while the bed slowed up a bit.
Some of the bigger money players wouldn't "play in the rain" I suspect with modern cloth, humidity does the same thing. Possibly to a lesser degree, but still.

Not to derail but, seems humidity may be an excuse to some degree (sorry) for not adapting?

Last edited:

pw98

Registered
I'm sure folks here advised on washing your hands with soap and water. That's my advice too.
Any carry a cloth to wipe your shaft. If your hands are sweaty, so will be your shaft. Likely mentioned before too.

But,
In the semi old days 70's & 80's while playing on shag carpet, the tables played different when it was raining vs not. Even with AC. Haven't played pool much for years but when I did, it seemed like the rails were more lively, while the bed slowed up a bit.
Some of the bigger money players wouldn't "play in the rain" I suspect with modern cloth, humidity does the same thing. Possibly to a lesser degree, but still.

Not to derail but, seems humidity may be an excuse to some degree (sorry) for not adapting?
It still does the same thing. The rails get bouncier and the swerve on sidespin shots its really affected. The balls also have more skid. The slowing down of the table cloth seems to be the least of the problems for me, however.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
Not a glove guy but thanks
Then you will continue to have inconsistency and problems. I didn't use a glove for over 20 years, then I tried one and have never looked back.
If you're too "cool" to wear a glove, then you'll continue to struggle lol. Gloves ELIMINATE your problem permanently.