High Humidity Play

Roscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I play and the humidity is high, I have issues with stroke and have to depend on an open bridge. What is everyone using to slick the shaft without talc?
Thanks,
Roscoe

tomatoshooter

If you keep your shaft clean you might get away with something to dry up the moisture on the hand that you could wipe off before you play. If I was opposed to talc, I'd wash and dry my hands and stich them in a bag of flour or cornstarch. You'd still need to do it over a trashcan.

Pool Hand Luke

Corey D. plays at times with a cue sleeve. Small tube shaped (cloth?) material he leaves on his cue and holds in his closed bridge. The cue slides through the sleeve and his hand never touches the wood. Not sure if it's because of humidity, but it was interesting to watch.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wash your hands a lot and keep the shaft clean. I have gone to a cue rosin bag when it is very humid. Then clean the shaft after every session. I use a Meguiars cleaner wax myself. Not a glove person either, seems to affect my feel of the shaft in a way I don't like..

Nyquil

When I play and the humidity is high, I have issues with stroke and have to depend on an open bridge. What is everyone using to slick the shaft without talc?
Thanks,
Roscoe
Glove which sounds like you don't like and I wax my shafts every two weeks after wiping them down with high content isopropyl alcohol. This definitely helps. My wood shafts are slicker than my revo. If you don't want to do either go with CF shaft.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MY experience- only a glove or something similar will keep that cue from sticking to your bridge hand in high humidity - cue wax, talc, cue slide products applied to the shaft all break down in high humidity conditions unless you are lucky enough to have the driest hands on earth in any condition.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Thanks,
Roscoe
Go down through all the grits of micro sanding films on your shaft(sharpshooter billiards sells them on ebay). Next burnish the living crap out of the shaft using empty paper towel tubes, felt, microscope cleaning paper etc. You want the shaft smoother than glass and burnished hard.

Now use renaissance wax. Apply very thin/sparing coats, let coats dry for a minute or so and burnish the wax hard into the shaft. Repeat the thin layers of wax many times. The finish will be very hard and slick, no tackiness at all.

The trouble is, this whole process takes some time and it's easier performed with a lathe, even a drill based portable one like the sharpshooter. It has a learning curve. Your cue building/repair guy could do the same thing.

Once done like this your shaft will be good for months of hard play. If it feels like it needs it, burnish it with a microfiber cloth and you're good. Once it feels like the wax is no longer performing, you can clean the surface with 91% IPA and re-wax the shaft.

GoldCrown

Pool players have more balls
Gold Member
Silver Member
Have the shaft professionally refinished/sealed. Replace with REVO (not the answer you’re looking for).
Clean and burnish.

If your hands sweat a lot .. as said use Glove

middleofnowhere

Registered
Corey D. plays at times with a cue sleeve. Small tube shaped (cloth?) material he leaves on his cue and holds in his closed bridge. The cue slides through the sleeve and his hand never touches the wood. Not sure if it's because of humidity, but it was interesting to watch.
In the south in bars we often wrapped a dollar bill around the shaft.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not a glove guy but thanks
consider this

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a glove guy but thanks
Same here and I played a tournament where I couldn't deal with the feel.
Bought glove(s) online in the middle of a match and I made myself be able to use em.

If I played for a living - or anywhere out, lol- I'd always use one. The consistency is a major benefit.

Here is a pic of me playing billiards.

Rack em.
Screenshot_20220307-175438.jpg