High Inside or Low Outside for Position?

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good points, and when the balls are dirty, that makes even more difference.

At the average bar with a pool table you'll probably also have leveling issues, dirty cloth, funky rails, and a more extreme social dynamic, and it'll probably be Valley tables (at least in my experience). I don't know about harder or easier, but the challenges are very different.

I wonder what players would choose, if they had to make a bank shot to save their life: A nice 9 foot table with clean balls, or a crappy 7 foot table with dirty balls? I guess it would depend on the player.
I read posts like that all of the time.
I'm lucky that I have a poolroom less than a half hour away with 4 7 foot Diamonds that are level, in good shape,
and the balls are run through the machine after every use.
I have no excuses hahaha.
They have one 8 foot Diamond, 7 9 foot Diamonds, and 3 9 foot GC's and they keep them in all good shape.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read posts like that all of the time.
I'm lucky that I have a poolroom less than a half hour away with 4 7 foot Diamonds that are level, in good shape,
and the balls are run through the machine after every use.
I have no excuses hahaha.
They have one 8 foot Diamond, 7 9 foot Diamonds, and 3 9 foot GC's and they keep them in all good shape.
Strange why they have one 8-footer, unless it was in a tight spot in the room?

Lynch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always used inside and 3 rails playing on Gold Crowns exclusively.
When I started playing on Diamonds the object ball would rattle and not drop more often.
So I switched to out side spin and less balls rattled.
Now it all depends on the situation which way to go but if there is a choice I use out side.
Maybe just a mental thing.
My experience has been identical, minus the part about previously playing mostly on gold crowns. I play nearly exclusively on diamonds nowadays and it just seems like I don't rattle as many balls with low outside, compared to high inside. Some of the balls with high inside, I feel I hit decent too and still hang them up (most still go in if I hit it good). I still use both plenty depending on the shot, but I rarely hang up balls with low outside regardless of speed if I hit it half decent. If it's close to 50/50 and there is a premium on pocketing, I'm going low outside. If new cloth, I'm favoring that ever more because of what tinman said.

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
I’m not here to argue, but the geometry of the tables are exactly the same. 7’ or 9’. You might want to consider that.

At any rate glad your playing and I hope your game improves and enjoy. Pool is fun,

Best
Fatboy😃
You are correct: the geometry is the same. However, the balls are also the same size and weight on both tables..
Because of that, tight-window position on a barbox could be a huge zone on a 9 ft.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are correct: the geometry is the same. However, the balls are also the same size and weight on both tables..
Because of that, tight-window position on a barbox could be a huge zone on a 9 ft.
Yes that’s true, the area you need to park the CB is generally smaller on a barbox and traffic is tighter because the balls relative to the table size are larger-so navigating traffic is tighter. But pocketing the OB is easier so that’s the trade off.

But nothing else changes. Just need a shorter leash on whitey(better speed control). Some shots are played a bit differently on a barbox but that’s the exception not the rule.

Best
Fatboy

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I know it depends on the situation and whether your cue ball positioning path may be obstructed by other balls, but sometimes we are faced with a positioning option (particularly with your object ball close to a side cushion) of using high inside spin to pocket your ball and come around 2 or 3 cushions back up the table vs using low outside to bring the cue ball off the cushion and back up the table.

I’m assuming the low outside seems the simplest and preferred choice for most players, but I believe I’m among the small percentage of players that often chooses the high inside option. I just seem to be more comfortable pocketing the shot as well as more comfortable with my cue ball speed control using the high inside, even if the cue ball does have to travel farther.

I’m guessing it has something to do with my stroke and that I’ve always been more comfortable with a power follow stroke than I am with a power draw stroke. I’m curious as to opinions / preferences of others?
When cueing with a high ball, there is less cue ball squirt too the obj. ball.

I don't think so. Your mind is telling you this shot (follow) is more simple, and your minds correct, there's less going on in the follow shot.

Looking at most shots, my cb position for the 3rd ball in sequence, tells me the proper shot/cueing/ needed on my first ball, to simplify and guarantee the proper angle needed from the 2nd ball to the third ball.
In general I'm always setting up my playing position to get to the third ball on the proper side. IE.....the first shot determines my choice/cueing/and cb movement to the second ball which gets me easily to the 3rd ball.

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When cueing with a high ball, there is less cue ball squirt too the obj. ball.

I don't think so. You mind is telling you this shot (follow) is more simple, and your minds correct, there's less going on in the follow shot.

Looking at most shots, my cb position for the 3rd ball in sequence, tells me the proper shot/cueing/ needed on my first ball, to simplify and guarantee the proper angle needed from the 2nd ball to the third ball.
In general I'm always setting up my playing position to get to the third ball on the proper side. IE.....the first shot determines my choice/cueing/and cb movement to the second ball which gets me easily to the 3rd ball.
At least the 3rd ball, deeper if it’s clear. Great post

Fatboy

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I prefer using outside (its easier to gauge) a good shot.

If you use inside a lot your really know how your cue plays.
Not a bad thing at all. Sometimes you need to go the other way.

I know it depends on the situation and whether your cue ball positioning path may be obstructed by other balls, but sometimes we are faced with a positioning option (particularly with your object ball close to a side cushion) of using high inside spin to pocket your ball and come around 2 or 3 cushions back up the table vs using low outside to bring the cue ball off the cushion and back up the table.

I’m assuming the low outside seems the simplest and preferred choice for most players, but I believe I’m among the small percentage of players that often chooses the high inside option. I just seem to be more comfortable pocketing the shot as well as more comfortable with my cue ball speed control using the high inside, even if the cue ball does have to travel farther.

I’m guessing it has something to do with my stroke and that I’ve always been more comfortable with a power follow stroke than I am with a power draw stroke. I’m curious as to opinions / preferences of others?

Billiardscollec

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was taught and I agree that high inside is more natural and the way to go if all factors are equal. Low is a technique that goes against natural travel of the cue ball, so if you have a choice, use the one that is more natural. I know in my case, it's easier to move the cue ball to the position I need when I use high inside. I know it was a debate we had at Turningstone and many accomplished players were in the discussion. That plus the fact that I used to get caught by the side pocket are the basis for my opinion.