Hit em soft

thelmstetter

Tomcat
Silver Member
After every tournament that I play in I make it a habit to look at what I can learn from the experience. One of the things that I have noticed over time is that good players tend to hit the balls more softly. This may not always be the case but in general good players and professional players hit the balls softer. They play the ball at “pocket speed” when possible. Even though most shots should be hit softly there are still times when force is needed. I thought I would make a list of reasons why hitting the ball softly is a good idea.

Soft strokes are less likely to go off line. The more force that you apply increases the likelihood that you will push the cue off the natural line for which you are aiming.
You learn faster from softer strokes. One of the biggest reasons that people miss shots is because of deflection and throw. You can reduce object ball throw by hitting it harder but then you don’t learn how much throw you are creating. Deflection is also easier to see at slower speeds.
You will make the pockets bigger. Hitting at softer speeds allow your aim to be off more. Pockets tend to accept more balls when hit softer. You have probably heard of playing balls at “pocket speed”. All those balls that buckled in the hole probably would have went if you had hit them a little softer.
When you hit a ball harder you have to use tension in your arm and grip. Tension is bad in your stroke. Soft strokes require less movement during your stroke.
Hitting the ball soft allows you to develop more touch and feel for the speed.
Hitting the balls too hard is one of the most common faults I see in beginning players. I even see more experienced players who hit the balls too hard. You may not do it all the time, but just about everyone puts too much force on the ball at times. It is an easy fix that can greatly improve your aim and accuracy. A little conscience effort is all it takes. Next time your out playing… hit em soft.