Hitting 1/2 Tip to the Left on Center Ball Shots, Should I Fix My Stroke or Adapt?

stockbob55

Registered
I am always striving to play better, my main issue is inconsistency. I recently found out that when I strike the cue ball I am up to 1/2 a tip off to the left of where I am aiming. I am pretty sure that I aim correctly and that my bridge V is in the correct place prior to the final back swing. On the final backswing I am changing something in my hand/wrist that puts the cue on the wrong line as I pull the cue back.

I have been playing a long time both snooker and pool.
Should I work to eliminate the stroke flaw or compensate by starting my tip to the right before the backswing. Starting to the right work but not sure if its the best solution.

Thanks in advance.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Should I work to eliminate the stroke flaw or compensate by starting my tip
If it's what you think --- that something changes in your delivery, then it's fixable and should be fixed. Even the keenest eyes may not spot the source of the problem right away, though. I'm pretty good when it comes to getting to the source of a player's problem, but even with all my years of experience, I don't always find it right away. So be patient and try a few things to figure out what's going wrong, and get some help. An extra pair of eyes or two and some video of yourself is always helpful in diagnosing a problem.

Last edited:

stockbob55

Registered
Definitely the cue shifts or my wrist rotates on the final backswing, then as I come forward to hit the white my cue is on a different line.
I put left spin on every shot. I vary the length of my backstroke according to the power needed. More power = more left spin.
No wonder I am inconsistent.

stockbob55

Registered
If it's what you think --- that something changes in your delivery, then it's fixable and should be fixed. Even the keenest eyes may not spot the source of the problem right away, though. I'm pretty good when it comes to getting to the source of a player's problem, but even with all my years of experience, I don't always find it right away. So be patient and try a few things to figure out what's going wrong, and get some help. An extra pair of eyes or two and some video of yourself is always helpful in diagnosing a problem.
Yes thanks I will try to see it on video first.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I am always striving to play better, my main issue is inconsistency. I recently found out that when I strike the cue ball I am up to 1/2 a tip off to the left of where I am aiming. I am pretty sure that I aim correctly and that my bridge V is in the correct place prior to the final back swing. On the final backswing I am changing something in my hand/wrist that puts the cue on the wrong line as I pull the cue back.

I have been playing a long time both snooker and pool.
Should I work to eliminate the stroke flaw or compensate by starting my tip to the right before the backswing. Starting to the right work but not sure if its the best solution.

Thanks in advance.
Try aiming fully while up. Keep the shot picture exactly as it is while standing with the OB and it's pocket in the center of your vision. Think steadycam, or this:
Come down on the shot. Do not adjust. Shoot the shot. It may look weird as hell, in fact it probably will if you're missing 1/2 tip left, but if you trust the system (your own eyes while standing directly in line with the OB to the pocket) you will in fact make the ball. Stay down on the shot and fully observe what happens after you shoot. Watch the CB and hear the OB drop in the pocket. Do diamond to diamond drills with your newfound super powers.

🐔When you can see as the chicken does, you can strut your stuff. It's no wonder they can snatch flies out of the air. ;)

EDIT: I'm not an instructor.

dquarasr

Registered
Not an instructor.

I had (have) the same problem except mine was to the right. Here's how I am working on fixing it (I can't say it's fixed since every so often it creeps back in):

1. First I verified I was indeed setting up to hit center ball. Parallax and all that. I'd line up a shot, put the cue down on the table, then walk around the cue / CB and confirm I had indeed set up dead center. I confirmed I was lined up correctly.
2. Slowed my backstroke a little.
3. Used a pause at the back of my backstroke.
4. And the thing that by far had the biggest influence on fixing the problem: I quit squeezing the cue stick, really relaxed my grip and forearm.

Number 4 was eye-opening and made a tremendous difference in both controlling my intended contact point on the CB, as well as increasing my potting accuracy.

Best of luck with your search for a "cure".

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Definitely the cue shifts or my wrist rotates on the final backswing, then as I come forward to hit the white my cue is on a different line.
I put left spin on every shot. I vary the length of my backstroke according to the power needed. More power = more left spin.
No wonder I am inconsistent.
Here's why it's important to find the source of the problem: If the source is psychological --- like a steering issue or just anticipation of the shot, then the fix begins with your mindset and then you have to break your twisting habit by doing things like dquarasr suggested --- for example, check to see if you're squeezing your grip, etc...in anticipation of the shot.

But the source could also be physical, such as a stance issue where your torso is too far over the line of the shot and you're crowding your arm, so you subconsciously pulled your arm out or twisted it away from your body so you could stroke through.

If it's a stance issue, then you would have to address two things: One, your stance, obviously, so you can allow for your arm to swing straight along the line of the shot --- and two, you will have to correct the twisting habit that has formed. You may still have that habit after you correct your stance. You'll have to teach yourself what it feels like to swing straight.

Remember, very important --- Regardless of the source, you will have to teach yourself what it feels like to do it right so you can find that feel whenever you play.

Last edited:

tomatoshooter

4. And the thing that by far had the biggest influence on fixing the problem: I quit squeezing the cue stick, really relaxed my grip and forearm.
I'm struggling with this on draw shots. Whenever I try to hit hard my grip tightens on the forward stroke, putting the tip into the felt and the cue ball in the air. I caught myself jumping up early a couple of times. Something about thinking the ball should come back makes me move instead of keeping the same stroke.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
View of back hand straight shots across diagonal. :)

View from side

This is great that you did this. Here are 5 screenshots that I took of your stroke in sequence. I was never a fan of opening and closing your grip hand when you stroke. You're not alone. Many players do it, particularly snooker players. This is why I don't recommend it.

Attachments

• 2022-07-13 (1) copy.jpg
    2022-07-13 (1) copy.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 2022-07-13 (2) copy.jpg
    2022-07-13 (2) copy.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 102
  • 2022-07-13 (3) copy.jpg
    2022-07-13 (3) copy.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 2022-07-13 (4) copy.jpg
    2022-07-13 (4) copy.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 2022-07-13 (5) copy.jpg
    2022-07-13 (5) copy.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 100

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is great that you did this. Here are 5 screenshots that I took of your stroke in sequence. I was never a fan of opening and closing your grip hand when you stroke. You're not alone. Many players do it, particularly snooker players. This is why I don't recommend it.
fran
are you saying you recommend/ teach a new player the hand/grip position remain fixed meaning no change on the backswing and follow through?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fran
are you saying you recommend/ teach a new player the hand/grip position remain fixed meaning no change on the backswing and follow through?
The hand and fingers will naturally change position slightly on the cue as your arm moves through. What I don't recommend is intentionally opening and closing the hand as part of the arm swing unless it's right at impact to snap the cue for a particular type of shot, like where you have to shoot with a very short swing, but need some power. But other than that, like, to do it in the back of the swing --- it's not necessary.