Holding cue at end of stick

jed1894

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Will holding the back part of the cue (butt) just about to the end promote any bad habits or will it help improve anything. I'm looking to improve my reverse english a little and I thought holding the cue a little farther back would help.....any thoughts?
 
It depends how tall you are and how long your arms are. If your arms are longer, you can hold the cue further back. I know someone who plays by holding almost the bumper. But he is 6'6.
 
jed1894 said:
Will holding the back part of the cue (butt) just about to the end promote any bad habits or will it help improve anything. I'm looking to improve my reverse english a little and I thought holding the cue a little farther back would help.....any thoughts?


there no right or wrongs in this case, if your streached out its better than the crutch, if your tall chances you'll be near the back as well, how you stroke the ball, stay down after contact, and follow through are the real issues here, if your elbow is directly over the cue this is considered proper fundmentals but keith shoots side arm and he's tough to beat, dont get caught up in rights/wrongs just do what it takes to get the ball in the hole and have shape on the correct side of the next ball and you'll be fine.
 
Ideally, you want your grip hand to be directly under your elbow at the point in your stroke when the tip makes contact with the cue ball. Since we are all different sizes, it will be different for each individual.
Steve
 
jed1894 said:
Will holding the back part of the cue (butt) just about to the end promote any bad habits or will it help improve anything. I'm looking to improve my reverse english a little and I thought holding the cue a little farther back would help.....any thoughts?
Unless you are a tall player holding the back part of the cue can lead to some side to side movement in your stroke because your grip won't be under your elbow when you make contact with the cue ball.
I like to move my grip back slightly on long draw shots only.
Your grip should be based on your height and arm length and it's ideal for your grip hand to be under your elbow on contact with the cue ball!
 
Back
Top