Hours, weeks, months, years, and I’m still lousy

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It really isn't. Hitting a fast ball is hard.
It is. If it wasn't, we would all be making 90+ % of our balls. Even the belittliing bragsters on AZ don't do that. Sure, I can run packages but my average is based on everything I do not my best moments. If the game were easy, the top players wouldn't be rich (by most people's standards) from the game alone.

It's a simple game, and very straightforward. But it's not easy.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are lots of reasons you will miss….yeah, I’m sure you can name a whole bunch as most of us could.
Here are some major reasons: bad mechanics, weak shot selection, mental lapse (mistake), trying too hard.

Everyone will make a mistake sooner or later, even the pros in all sports endeavors. It’s simply inevitable & bound
to happen. It’s how you handle it that determines how good you are or think you are. If you dwell on it, that’s weak.

Shot selection can involve letting your ego map the table, approaching it unrealistically or timidly, re: CB position.
You do not need ideal shape to consecutively pocket balls or run the table. You just have to avoid weak CB shape.

Mental lapse is something that happens from time to time and the frequency, or reoccurrence, is largely decided by
whether the player can refocus on what he did wrong & more importantly, maintain that focus throughout the match.

Trying too hard is when the player is thinking too much about playing the shot so precisely the cue ball lands in ideal
shape. So the player overthinks cue ball speed, the cut, the right amount & type English, rail speed and overthinks it.

Bad mechanics is easily fixed by learning and practicing sound, fundamental swing mechanics and committing to it.
Shot selection involves knowing your strengths & weaknesses and the fundamentals of pool like 30 & 90 degrees,
tangent lines, banking, draw & stop shots, etc. and making smart shot selections. Mental mistakes can and do happen
but holding it to the absolute minimum requires a mind uncluttered and clear of thoughts or information about how to
play the shot. No distractions should be the guiding principle and thinking about the shot is distracting by itself. Trying too hard comes from knowing you can make the shot 18 out of 20 times but you get distracted by the criticality of the
shot and recall that you can miss, albeit not often. So you start looking at your stroke and the cue ball and aim point &
then it happens. You over stroke or hit the CB too soft pocketing the OB but wind up with a tough next shot or hooked.

The best thing one can do is video themselves shooting straight pool. Pocket a 100 balls, see how long it takes, what
was the longest run, how many times did you shoot and miss ( any consecutive misses), and critique your performance or stroke. You should know what a good stroke looks like. Check your mechanics and see how lazy and sloppy you get. Observe how you shoot faster on easier shots as opposed to treating every shot with respect and consideration for
getting CB shape. What can you spot wrong? What do you do that you can see needs to change, even bridge length.

For a new player, they need a coach. For a more experienced player, they’ll benefit from more knowledge and practice.
I’m 75 and the other day I ran 3 racks of 9 ball in a race to 5 and still lost to my opponent. I started trying to run the
table instead of controlling the table and the matches I lost were due to his shot making but also my shot selection.
You will generally learn more from your losses than you do from your victories. I’ll remember that loss and play smarter.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been playing for 3.5 years. Just play at home, practicing, haven’t played anyone in months. I do some drills, always trying to get position, trying to make the layout easy. Trying to get near my next ball. Always with position in mind. Use CTE for aiming, and my half ball hits or 30 degree shots are not my problem. I can run a lot more racks, but I’m always one or two balls away from position. Does this come with time?????? I can put the time in, as i love to play practice. Was going to make tonight my first major 9 ball tournament, but after watching the asian gentleman play, I’m not ready. If I can’t clear the table 9 time out of 10 with throwing 9 balls and spreading them out, I’m not ready.

Am i asking too much of myself???????/
Yes, you’re asking too much. You just got way too late a start. You took it up the game seriously at age 61 or 62 and now you’re 65 and you can occasionally break and run a 9-ball rack. That’s very impressive, so don’t be so hard on yourself.

I’m also 65. I used to occasionally break and run a 3-4 pack, but now, like yourself, I’m satisfied if I can just occasionally break and run a single rack, maybe a rare 2-pack every now and then, and I’ve been playing pool for 50+ years and I still consider myself a pretty decent player. Just be aware of who you are comparing yourself to and enjoy playing the game!

Last edited:

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all of the good advice guys. Maybe jack nicholson said it best for me:
MAYBE THIS IS AS GOOD AS IT GETS. I do have things going against me: big fat hands, big fat fingers,
can’t bend down as much as the little guys, and i move a lot before final stroke. Oh well.

SLO-ROLL

The instant I tried to get better at golf, watching videos, trying to change my swing, etc. etc. my game suffered. I was better when I was required to play 9 before work with the boss and the other employees. Dated a girl that lived on a course and just rode around and drank beer playing golf while I waited for her to get off work, I wasn’t bad. Then it happened, I started “taking it serious” and next thing you know I didn’t even enjoy it. I don’t play pool unless it’s with friends and we play for $ have a beer or two and just have fun.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all of the good advice guys. Maybe jack nicholson said it best for me:
MAYBE THIS IS AS GOOD AS IT GETS. I do have things going against me: big fat hands, big fat fingers,
can’t bend down as much as the little guys, and i move a lot before final stroke. Oh well.
Looking for sympathy much? ;)

Go gym. At least get your musculature on notice. Service is required...

Don't move when you shoot.

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a big guy, too (400+). Same fat hands and short fat fingers. Although my weight and size do limit several aspects of my game I have found that I can compensate for this to a degree that is at least satisfactory for me: Shooting with an open bridge almost 100% of the time, using a bridge to avoid having to lean way over the table, modifying my stance so as to provide belly clearance for a perpendicular forearm when stroking, shooting from a more upright stance at times to avoid "belly fouls," etc... As to your movement when delivering the final stroke, if you make sure you have a solid 3-point stance (2 feet on the floor and one hand on the table) your weight can be an asset in that it provides a less moveable base for your shooting arm to pivot on. The point is, be creative in finding ways to work around physical obstacles, while understanding that your physical condition will limit your game even with the work-arounds.

Most of all, just play and enjoy yourself. Don't compare your ability to others in a way that you feel driven to be better than them. Doing that will only steal the joy you should be getting during the times when you excel compared to your own normal play. Yeah, winning is great, but without sometimes losing the winning won't have the same satisfaction. Keep in mind that given your age, condition and length of your experience realistically you will always be somewhere in the middle of whatever pool hierarchy you play in. Sure, always work to improve, but accept your general position in your pool world and be okay with it. At our level, pool is meant to be enjoyed more than conquered. Leave the struggle for perfection to the pros.

Get into the tournaments even though you think (or know) you have no chance. Enjoy the competition, learn by watching every opponent. If you see something you don't understand but which seems to work, ask the shooter about it after the match. You'll find that most will be happy to answer your questions and give you pointers. In general, the pool community is full of people that enjoy the sport and being around others that feel the same. Give yourself a break and don't feel like you have to prove anything to anyone or make excuses. You will be surprised how non-judgemental most other players will be regarding your skill level.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Chris said it best. 3.5 years is just getting started. By now I'd expect you can pocket routine shots, make basic cue ball maneuvers, often have runs of 5+ balls, and occasionally run a table if the balls lay right and it goes your way.

There are levels and levels beyond this. You can either get discouraged by that or excited by that. But let me tell you one big secret: There is no prize at the bottom of the crackerjack box. Just more levels. And more levels. And more levels. They never end.

So if your goal is to get to reach the end of those levels or reach some super far away level, all you are doing is deciding to be discontent. Instead focus on where you are, enjoy the level you are playing now, and enjoy striving to reach the next level.

Remember- if someone offered to wave a wand and get me to that level I'm working towards I'd say no. I don't want to be there, I want to try to get there. There is nothing there for me, only the joy of the pursuit. We play this game for the challenge, so being given the game I'm striving for would be like buying a book of crossword puzzles and then looking up all of the answers. What's the point?

TL;DR: When you play to have fun you win as soon as you put your cues together.

middleofnowhere

Registered
It is. If it wasn't, we would all be making 90+ % of our balls. Even the belittliing bragsters on AZ don't do that. Sure, I can run packages but my average is based on everything I do not my best moments. If the game were easy, the top players wouldn't be rich (by most people's standards) from the game alone.

I'll stick with my comment. Pool is not that hard to learn to play. Being in the poolroom business for so many years I have seen hundreds of new players make great improvements. It just is not a hard game to learn.

The problem the OP is having is playing by himself. Once around more experienced players it is not that hard to pick up. They learn almost by osmosis. They learn and don't even realize they are learning.

Last edited:

middleofnowhere

Registered

Honestly, I would say most decent players do make 90 percent of makable shots. Missing very difficult or low percentage shots does not make one a bad player.
I am certain you don't just out of nowhere hit shots you should make into the rail.

Nyquil

I have been playing for 3.5 years. Just play at home, practicing, haven’t played anyone in months. I do some drills, always trying to get position, trying to make the layout easy. Trying to get near my next ball. Always with position in mind. Use CTE for aiming, and my half ball hits or 30 degree shots are not my problem. I can run a lot more racks, but I’m always one or two balls away from position. Does this come with time?????? I can put the time in, as i love to play practice. Was going to make tonight my first major 9 ball tournament, but after watching the asian gentleman play, I’m not ready. If I can’t clear the table 9 time out of 10 with throwing 9 balls and spreading them out, I’m not ready.

Am i asking too much of myself???????/
Having a home table is awesome but playing by yourself can really inhibit your growth. Get into a league etc if you can. Playing and learning from others is critical to becoming proficient.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see there’s still a lot of outdated “your problem is you don’t play good players” talk around here.

This isn’t 1995 where you need to be at the pool room to see what good play looks like. Or where you need to find someone willing to share knowledge.

You can see all the best play in the world on YouTube. You can either get virtual lessons or you can find a good instructor and take live lessons.

But getting beat up over and over like many of us did isn’t required anymore. At least not at an early stage.

Obviously down the road, you’ll need competition to become betting *in* competition.

But, if you can’t play good pool alone against yourself, you’re not going to play good pool against someone else.

Fundamentals and drills.

Getting good at most anything is real work. It’s not fun (unless you make it fun as far as enjoying the process).

You won’t magically be able to make that tough shot at a match because you “got out there” unless you never miss it on the practice table.

How many balls did you hit this week frozen on the rail? How many times did you hit the same shot over and over letting the cue ball stop on a business card? How many times did you pocket a straight in shot and draw back 1 diamond, then 2, then 3?

If you don’t know the answer or the answer is something like “about 10 times or so,” that’s the reason.

Getting good is going to be work. And that means drills, and the same shots over, and over, and over.

Then, get out and get beat up a bit. But not until you’re doing well alone.

You don’t teach someone how to hit a baseball just throwing them out there. You train it in pieces and not during a game.

Tiger Woods didn’t become good at golf with the shots he took in matches. It was the 300+ shots he would go shoot after the match.

Shane Van Boening and others play 8hrs a day. And it’s not 8hrs playing games of pool with people. It’s drills and repetition.

vapoolplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For example, in the rifle shooting world when people ask how to become better competition shooters, the absolute worst advice is “get out there and shoot matches.”

That’s how you just get beat up on someone else’s terms.

The proper way is first learning proper fundamentals, the position building, then timed drills. With a format and schedule that promotes learning properly.

Because if you can’t shoot 90% on the practice range, it’s impossible to shoot 90% at the match.

What ends up happening is the exact same thing that happens in pool. People posting lousy scores for 5-10 years at matches. Or longer. Maybe never getting that good.

And then the guys who spent 2+ years shooting drills all day everyday come along and seem to be “phenoms.”

Go look through any pro pool player’s YouTube who gives lessons or advice.

I promise you 90% of it will be focused practice drills with proper fundamentals.

Almost none will tell you “just get out there.”

This is going to sound harsh, but everyone who’s saying “just get out there” are usually the same who aren’t winning.

The guys winning are on the practice table shooting 100 of the same shot. Or more.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
,,,and this older Asian guy, just didn’t miss. At all. He shot very easy, got position on every shot, looked like his eyes were closed. He shot very unbelievable low key, just boom, boom boom, game over. his opponent only got a shot when he played safe. he took the most easy route on every shot, perfect position each time. Little 6- 8 inch movements. I started crying a little watching him. I cant do that.

has he been playing for 30 years? Is he semi pro? What do i have to do to shoot like him? Play and practice for 20 years? I’m 65, I have to wait till I’m 85 to shoot like that?

It’s not fair. (Sorry for crying like a baby, but I was shocked at how easy a non pro made it look)
Break it down. Anybody looking that effortless is guaranteed on refined basics. Links?

middleofnowhere

Registered
I see there’s still a lot of outdated “your problem is you don’t play good players” talk around here.

This isn’t 1995 where you need to be at the pool room to see what good play looks like. Or where you need to find someone willing to share knowledge.

You can see all the best play in the world on YouTube. You can either get virtual lessons or you can find a good instructor and take live lessons.

But getting beat up over and over like many of us did isn’t required anymore. At least not at an early stage.

Obviously down the road, you’ll need competition to become betting *in* competition.

But, if you can’t play good pool alone against yourself, you’re not going to play good pool against someone else.

Fundamentals and drills.

Getting good at most anything is real work. It’s not fun (unless you make it fun as far as enjoying the process).

You won’t magically be able to make that tough shot at a match because you “got out there” unless you never miss it on the practice table.

How many balls did you hit this week frozen on the rail? How many times did you hit the same shot over and over letting the cue ball stop on a business card? How many times did you pocket a straight in shot and draw back 1 diamond, then 2, then 3?

If you don’t know the answer or the answer is something like “about 10 times or so,” that’s the reason.

Getting good is going to be work. And that means drills, and the same shots over, and over, and over.

Then, get out and get beat up a bit. But not until you’re doing well alone.

You don’t teach someone how to hit a baseball just throwing them out there. You train it in pieces and not during a game.

Tiger Woods didn’t become good at golf with the shots he took in matches. It was the 300+ shots he would go shoot after the match.

Shane Van Boening and others play 8hrs a day. And it’s not 8hrs playing games of pool with people. It’s drills and repetition.
I am afraid I have to disagree. Watching pool on a two demensional TV screen does not compair to spending hours in a top action room with good players up close. The sounds, smell, feel, It is like a college education in pool.

Every good player will tell the same story of leaving their room and getting in the company of good players. Your pool game grows exponentially.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with everyone else who has commented that:

A. you started late and
B. 3.5 years is nothing -- you are still a pool baby.

That old Asian guy you watched running balls effortlessly has probably been playing for decades because for most non-pros that's how long it takes to be able to do that.

When played well the game is deceptive. I have written before about watching Mosconi run 100 at his exhibitions and every single person who watched left believing they could or should be able to do the same. He made it look that easy.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll stick with my comment. Pool is not that hard to learn to play. Being in the poolroom business for so many years I have seen hundreds of new players make great improvements. It just is not a hard game to learn.

The problem the OP is having is playing by himself. Once around more experienced players it is not that hard to pick up. They learn almost by osmosis. They learn and don't even realize they are learning.
A lot of good advice here, but the bottom line is the OP is 65. His goals and expectations considering his age are just not realistic. Yes, he can still improve but he’s fooling himself if he thinks he can become an A player. I know this because I’m 65, I’ve played all my life and I know my best pool playing is well behind me - it’s a young man’s game.

Guy Manges

Registered
What is it with this game? I put the time in, i watch videos, i buy training aids, i give my heart and soul to this game. And get nothing in return? Sure, i can get lucky and run a 9 ball rack once in a while. Sure i can throw 9 balls out on the table and shoot them in rotation MOST of the time. All of the time usually with one or two small position errors. Big deal

was going to go to my local pool hall tonight for there weekly 9 ball tournament, and i happened to look on you tube, and they had some past matches, (from last week), so i watched some matches. (They live stream the weekly tournament)

and this older Asian guy, just didn’t miss. At all. He shot very easy, got position on every shot, looked like his eyes were closed. He shot very unbelievable low key, just boom, boom boom, game over. his opponent only got a shot when he played safe. he took the most easy route on every shot, perfect position each time. Little 6- 8 inch movements. I started crying a little watching him. I cant do that.

has he been playing for 30 years? Is he semi pro? What do i have to do to shoot like him? Play and practice for 20 years? I’m 65, I have to wait till I’m 85 to shoot like that?

It’s not fair. (Sorry for crying like a baby, but I was shocked at how easy a non pro made it look)
Don't laugh but the best pool players on this earth are Asians, logical, intelligent teachings from very young age and not all these teaching are pool... Math of Physics and Meditation Concentration instilled in Subconscious... Even tho we are old bodies our minds be young... God bless , Guy

Grimper

Don't laugh but the best pool players on this earth are Asians, logical, intelligent teachings from very young age and not all these teaching are pool... Math of Physics and Meditation Concentration instilled in Subconscious... Even tho we are old bodies our minds be young... God bless , Guy

Sorry, but's that about the most laughable comment I've ever seen.