How do you get a rating in Fargorate if you never play tournaments?

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I know this is another Fargorate question and I've tried my best to research the topic before posting, but I am still confused. I recently just typed my name in to see if I had a rating and was surprised to see I had one. Granted it's just a "starter" rating and I'm pretty sure I have 0 games registered as robustness and the bar associated with the rating is 0 or completely empty. I read the definition of "starter rating" on the site and I understand what it means.

My question though is how did it generate a "starter" rating for me in the first place if I have never played in one of the regional tours? Or at least not one recently like in the past 4 years? I have really only played in leagues mainly APA, BCA, and recently TAP. Is the rating drawing off league performance? Does Fargorate even have access to that information? I thought the system would only draw off performances in regional or the large pro events. Unless they have access to league data how does Fargo even know where to begin to rank you? Furthermore, I have friends who I can definitely say have never played in any regional tour and they too have a rating.

Thanks for any replies.

Last edited:

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I know this is another Fargorate question and I've tried my best to research the topic before posting, but I am still confused. I recently just typed my name in to see if I had a rating and was surprised to see I had one. Granted it's just a "starter" rating and I'm pretty sure I have 0 games registered as robustness and the bar associated with the rating is 0 or completely empty. I read the definition of "starter rating" on the site and I understand what it means.

My question though is how did it generate a "starter" rating for me in the first place if I have never played in one of the regional tours? Or at least not one recently like in the past 4 years? I have really only played in leagues mainly APA, BCA, and recently TAP. Is the rating drawing off league performance? Does Fargorate even have access to that information? I thought the system would only draw off performances in regional or the large pro events. Unless they have access to league data how does Fargo even know where to begin to rank you? Furthermore, I have friends who I can definitely say have never played in any regional tour and they too have rating.

Thanks for any replies.

First, if your name is in there with just a starter rating, that starter rating could be reasonable or it could be pretty much nonsense.

The most likely situation is you were in the CSI database and listed as an "Open" player. And this generally just means that you might have played BCA Pool league at one time and you were not singled out to be bumped up to Advanced or Master and you were not singled out to be bumped down to Leisure. So you could in fact be a high-level player, and you could be a beginner.

As I think you know, you don't actually have a Fargo Rating until you have 200 games in the system, and at that point the "starter rating" is ignored.

If you did start playing in a league now that uses Fargorate LMS, your league operator would have some authority to adjust starter ratings based on local knowledge or assessments/ratings from other leagues. That just helps the group ease more gently into actually having Fargo Ratings.

If you tried to sign up for a large tournament, like BCAPL Nationals, that starter rating would likely be reviewed and possibly adjusted before the registration is complete.

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
The starter rating can hurt if your BCA league does not report any of your games. I have hundreds of games under my belt in league, but my started rating shows 625 with zero games. Although I have finished high in nationals and state one year, it still shows me as zero games. This rating can hurt if you start high when you want to play in team events because it might bump you up to Platinum which is my case. Hoping my league turns in our games eventually.