How do you structure your practice?

Leigh

Registered
Well Leigh, you have a couple things going for you. You have had some lessons, have time, a home table, dedication, etc. Now let's put first things first. Have your lessons included a PSR ( Pre shot routine)? If not research it on the forums. Then include this in your "good basic fundamentals".

Now let's start your program with developing precision shot making. Why? Because you said you need to work on everything and everything starts with making the object ball go where you want it to go. So this is what I suggest.

Place the cue ball on the head string one inch from a side rail. Place an object ball one inch from the side pocket on the same side rail. This should be a straight in stop shot to the foot corner pocket. Practice for ten minutes or until you become bored. Try it with draw and follow shots until you feel proficient.

I do this often when I walk by my pool table. You may want to try ten minute practice sessions when you have time...and using your PSR. If this seems to help and you would like to go to the next step...just let me know. What is your success rate?

'Tennessee Joe' Johann
Hello and thanks for replying. This is a drill I do often. Stop, follow, or draw at various lengths to really make sure my stroke is dead on. It is not consistent, so this is my main drill. I struggle with my center vision being to the left (I shoot right), so I either stand more open or try and bring the cue slightly under me. I still can't decide which is more consistent or better in the long run... but I at least got to the point of figuring out two ways to shoot accurately.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello and thanks for replying. This is a drill I do often. Stop, follow, or draw at various lengths to really make sure my stroke is dead on. It is not consistent, so this is my main drill. I struggle with my center vision being to the left (I shoot right), so I either stand more open or try and bring the cue slightly under me. I still can't decide which is more consistent or better in the long run... but I at least got to the point of figuring out two ways to shoot accurately.
Leigh, it looks like you are going in the right direction. Are you ready for more? Well here goes.

The next step is set up the same shot. Shoot it with left English until you can consistently spin the cue ball in place and make the object ball.. I like to use a measles cue ball and make the spots disappear.
The next 4 steps are to:
1. Use low/left... and draw the cue ball various distances.
2. Use high/left...and make the cue ball follow for various distances.
3. Use low/ right... and draw the cue ball various distances.
4. Use high/right...and follow the cue ball various distances.

Do each of the steps until you are proficient at each. Experience each of these at various speeds. All straight in shots.

When you are ready for more...let me know.

Reactions: bbb

Leigh

Registered
Leigh, it looks like you are going in the right direction. Are you ready for more? Well here goes.

The next step is set up the same shot. Shoot it with left English until you can consistently spin the cue ball in place and make the object ball.. I like to use a measles cue ball and make the spots disappear.
The next 4 steps are to:
1. Use low/left... and draw the cue ball various distances.
2. Use high/left...and make the cue ball follow for various distances.
3. Use low/ right... and draw the cue ball various distances.
4. Use high/right...and follow the cue ball various distances.

Do each of the steps until you are proficient at each. Experience each of these at various speeds. All straight in shots.

When you are ready for more...let me know.
Thank you!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi. I’m not an instructor. If you do not have anyone locally consider virtual lessons ala Zoom or similar. Also consider 2 separate instructors. One strictly for stroke mechanics and one to learn your favorite game ( strategy)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I have had a few lessons and would love more, but my area has zero instructors. ...
Sometimes instructors are not very good about getting the word out. You might try talking to your local:

League operators
Pool halls
Billiard supply stores

Also, the PBIA has a list of about 250 instructors. Maybe there is one close to you. Some of them travel, and some of them work remotely via Zoom or Facebook.

Leigh

Registered
Sometimes instructors are not very good about getting the word out. You might try talking to your local:

League operators
Pool halls
Billiard supply stores

Also, the PBIA has a list of about 250 instructors. Maybe there is one close to you. Some of them travel, and some of them work remotely via Zoom or Facebook.
Hello... yes. I have been to that website and I have asked the owners and league operators of the two venues in town. I played the great George Teyechea the other day and immediately found him on Facebook and asked if he does lessons... not at this time. (He was super fun to play with, btw.) For a while I was playing with a group of older guys with 900 years of combined experience - it was fun - but I was no longer able to play on that night (I have a ridiculous work schedule.) Oh well. It's not like I'm headed to the pros or anything - I'm just feeding the bizarre obsession when I can.