How hard is it to refinish the chrome castings on a Gold Crown?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
To the OP:

Are you thinking of just doing the pocket castings? If so, rethink it: it looks awesome when ALL
of the metal trims are the same. Dont cheat yourself. I use the Vein style of powder coating.
It has a textured finish and allows the applicator to build up the powder on scratches an blemishes.
Make sure to get the clear coat, will look great and last a very very long time.

Attached pic is Nickel Vein and that is a GC1 w/ new everything. Black formica and MOP inlays!

TFT

Attachments

• IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 228

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Most Gold Crown III's that I've seen ... the ugly pot metal beneath.

Are those casting really done with pot metal ? I'd have assumed aluminum but then what do I know.

Thanks,

Dave

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In 2007 I was in a pool room in valley forge called the classic cue.
They had powder coated the castings and looked great ! When I bought a GCIII
from a local room, I had my castings done the same. That was done in 2009.
They look brand new today and I've banged on them on occasion.
Great investment at $180. Don't know pricing today.
Good luck

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I powder coated the castings and feet on my GCI to mimic the original finish. They came out good but as pocket pointed out, they were a pain to get right. The 50 year old castings were out-gassing like crazy causing small bubbles. The coater had to redo them multiple times until they were acceptable. They aren't perfect, but are very nice and should last many, many years. They also match the anodized aluminum rail extrusions nicely.

50094047846_209a68c2ef_b.jpg

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Here's what I think after trial and error...

First, it's important to know what kind of metal you are dealing with.

GCI had polished aluminum pocket castings and feet.

GC2 had heavy duty zinc pocket castings and aluminium feet.

Regarding zinc vs aluminium, there are different things you can do and I have been told aluminium is more sensitive to the plating process but I'm not sure why. Zinc alloys are easier to deal with. Again, that;s what I've been told.

On the zinc pocket castings I have tried everything and IMO the very best finish is electroless nickel. Electroless nickel is an industrial coating and is actually the last step before chrome plating.

It comes out not too shinny, very durable, looks like a satin finish. The most important thing before plating anything is to thoroughly buff and clean. And on old pool table castings this is critical since they are more than likely beat to hell and scratched up.

On the legs I think chrome plating looks great.

It's okay for them to be different. And I don't think you want a real shinny pocket castings IMO.

Attachments

• IMG_3024.JPG
    IMG_3024.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3027.JPG
    IMG_3027.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
The legs are made from pot metal. I don't think the pocket castings are. At least the Gold Crown 3s had the bronze finish, except for the Black Gold Crowns, as has been noted.

For really old worn castings, seems like the best I've seen have been powder coated, with a good clear coat finish on top. I'm sure there are other options.

All the best,
WW