How Important Is Having The Forearm Straight?

Pidge

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you cue anything close to how I do, it is very important. It's a dull subject to 99% of readers, I'm sure... But it can really change how well you hit the ball. I cue with a relatively still elbow. It does lower slightly as I pull the cue back but it is nothing too drastic. Then as I hit the back pause it is again fairly stationary then a slight elbow drop as I follow through. So, if you don't drop your elbow before contact here are a few tips that can really help your accuracy on the white... More so horizontally that vertically.

First is get the tip as close as possible to the cue ball when addressing it. This will really help if you struggle with draw. I've seen players address the cue ball with their tip aimed at the very bottom of the white but miscue by hitting too high all because they addressed the cue ball 6 inches away. That's a drastic case but a more common problem is hitting the white 5mm or so higher than intended making that power draw roll back only a foot.

Secondly is having the forearm vertical. A common problem is players grip the cue too far back and they drop the elbow to compensate or they address the white much lower than where they intend. A friend of mine does this. He addresses the white. At the very bottom for long stun shots... He thinks the spin turns into slide over the distance which it does... But he hits it hard... And hits it just below centre, he won't have it and thinks he hits where he was addressing. Some people are beyond help.

It is hard to get the feeling of if the forearm is vertical when down and even looking back to check it is hard to tell. Video or take a photo to check. Put tape around your grip of you hold it too far back or foreward to where to grip for a vertical forearm with a natural bridge length... Then just practice getting down with it without having to adjust the grip position whilst down. You will start to notice how soft you have to hit the ball to get lots of draw on the cue ball because you are starting to hit it accurately.

sluan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Straight forearm is very important to me, otherwise I consider my cue warped and I will be very disappointed. :grin-square:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :grin:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Some world champions are slightly sidearm....even at snooker...Fred Davis and Alex
Higgins, to name two....and Ray Reardon was the opposite, with a flying elbow.
....the great Walter Lindrum was sidearm, also.

I think more consideration should be given to delivering the CUE, rather than form.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pidge, I always read your posts and find them informative, thanks. PT109, I always read yours as well, for their information or humor. Just sayin...

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some world champions are slightly sidearm....even at snooker...Fred Davis and Alex
Higgins, to name two....and Ray Reardon was the opposite, with a flying elbow.
....the great Walter Lindrum was sidearm, also.

I think more consideration should be given to delivering the CUE, rather than form.

Look at those in the winner's circle of today's most prestigious tournaments.

Most, if not all, have excellent fundamentals. If Alex Higgins were alive today, and played as he did in his prime. He would be lucky to be in the top 32.

To your last line, I would politely argue that better form allows one better delivery of the cue.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Look at those in the winner's circle of today's most prestigious tournaments.

Most, if not all, have excellent fundamentals. If Alex Higgins were alive today, and played as he did in his prime. He would be lucky to be in the top 32.

To your last line, I would politely argue that better form allows one better delivery of the cue.

Well, I tend to have a straight forearm....and I'm a little jealous of players that are slightly
sidearm...the Lion is about where Alex Higgins was....most good players that are
a bit sidearm seem more fluent....I feel they are hitting more from their 'chi'...and
things work a little easier for them.
Ronnie O'Sullivan is maybe my best modern example in snooker......
....I see the slightly sidearm a lot, especially on his long shots.

I don't disagree with you about A Higgins though, I think he was overrated...
...Steve Davis, who had a straight forearm, was a full level higher.

But delivering the cue is what it is all about....you can't always have good form..
...often the table doesn't allow it....and then there are the extreme positions, like
jacked up over a ball, with one knee on the table...the great players still deliver
the cue....and it's not just sighting...it's the cue and your mind.