How is Mike Sigel NOT in Straight Pool Hall of Fame?

Diamond Jack

9-ball Player
Silver Member
There are likely no videos of Mike playing with a Meucci cue.

He did play with the famous Captain Hook model Meucci in 1984, when he came up short to Earl Strickland in the US Open nine ball at Norfolk. Other than that, I think it was a very brief venture for Mike. Pretty quickly went back to Joss, then his own brand of cues. Maybe someone has some footage of Mike playing with a Meucci, but I suspect not.

All the best,
WW

Thank you WW, all the best from Germany, congrats for winning the Mosconi cup 2019 and merry Christmas and a happy new year.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They both became known in the early 80s, especially Sigel with his 80 straight pool win. Anyone with any video of either at Johnston City, or Wide World of Sports, put it up. BS.

Johnston City and Wide World of Sports, by the way, consisted of Lassiter, Taylor, and some pretty short videos with Weenie Beenie (Bill Staton), Boston Shorty (Larry Johnson), Handsome Danny Jones, Ed Kelly, and Harold Worst, Not too many others, especially Sigel or Varner.

Some of these stories make me wonder what people are trying to make up.

All the best,
WW
Buddy Hall told me about going to the second JC tournament when he was only 17 iirc.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Varner beat Sigel in the 1980 14.1 final at the Roosevelt Hotel. Sigel did win the US Open 9-ball in 1980.

Oops, you're right. I think I had the era correct, though. I believe Mike won a 14.1 tournament in the late 70s, possibly 1979. May have been called World rather than US Open. Trying to find a reference on it.

Edit: Yep, I had 1979 in mind, rather than 1980. And it was the World tournament.

https://people.com/archive/the-worl...ls-and-makes-the-shot-of-course-vol-12-no-15/

All the best,
WW

Last edited:

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sigel and Varner were pretty young teen agers in the Johnston City era. I've seen no video of either playing in Johnston City, or Wide World of Sports. You sure you've got your decades right?

All the best,
WW

Geez, It HAS been 50 years. I definitely remember Hopkins & Siegel up against Crane or Lassiter at those JC/WWS tv tournaments (OK, ‘69 earliest, maybe ‘70). Varner was ‘69 & ‘70 collegiate 14.1 champ, and Purdue & his home in KY were close by, so it’s likely he was there also.
If anyone has the complete series of those WWS tv films, I would love to review them.