How long must a winner keep playing before he's considered a "nit"?

If you're worried about someone quitting on you when they are up, just establish beforehand how many sets you want to play, or establish that only the loser can quit, or freeze up more money at the beginning.

You have just as much responsibility to communicate your minimum gambling time as the other guy does to let you know his maximum gambling time. The courtesy goes both ways.

A deal is a deal, but "no deal" is not a deal. JMO.
 
exactly

ShootingArts said:
There was a time period or two I gambled for a living and shooting fish in a barrel was part of it. I really didn't enjoy pool that much in those days but times were hard and I had bills to pay and mouths to feed. On the other hand the most fun I ever had playing pool was in a long battle with a top road player. It was a very tough grind. In the end I edged him by a little playing on my home ground. Had we been on neutral ground or his home ground the results would almost certainly have been different.

Many of us don't play pool primarily to make a buck. I'm not a gambler. I went to Reno and didn't gamble a nickel. I loved horse racing and often bet when I was at the track but I have never bet a nickel in an off track parlor either. Cards aren't my thing. Wagering on my skills is a different matter.

I don't bet with friends and as I mentioned, I don't rob pilgrims. My personal choices. Everyone has to make their own and I don't try to impose my values on others. You can't and won't impose yours on me.

Hu

That's exactly how I feel. We all have to make choices, and live with them. When I was in Insurance school a long time ago, {no I don't sell insurance} they taught us this saying, "do the right thing, because it's the right thing to do, not because you're afraid of getting caught." Unfortunately, most people don't live like that.
 
Great thread.I've often wondered this same thing.

I suppose I just don't run in these circles?

I only gamble a little here and there,but when I do,quitting "winner" is the F'n point lol.

I'm really missing the "big picture" here for sure....quitting "loser" means I did it wrong,does it not?
 
Pii said:
Age

I can't play like that anymore. Do you think it's fair for a 55 year old with a job and family to have to play an jobless18 year old gambling addict pool hall junkie 24 hours or more ?:confused:

If I quit up I will give you the chance to play another day and another and another until you quit. Who says you have to make them QUIT in one session?
I say the same thing to people who are local to me. They walk away all teary eyed thinking I won't play 'em again. :confused:
 
I gamble on a weekly basis, but it is always with people that are local. If I am up and have to go they know I will be back soon and we will play again. I typically stay until the room closes anyway. However, I would not quit someone if the guy was from out of town.

Reminds me of a story. SVB was in town a year or two ago, playing our local shortstop. Can't remember what the spot was, but our local hero was up about a grand when the room closed. At one point they were playing for 3K a set. Shane wanted to go to another pool hall across town that stayed open late. Our local declined, but offered to play the next day. SVB declined and went home. Nobody called anybody else a nit. Everyone was very respectful and understood the other person's position. Take it for what it is worth. If the room had stayed open later they would have played until it closed or until the loser was broke.
 
I will gamble until one of us is out of money. I have my gamblin' wad, and when it's done I'm done. I get busted from time to time, but that's what makes it gambling. I NEVER pass up an oportunity to bust someone, because at the end of the day thats what it's about. If I am up I will play as long as the guy wants. I respect the fact that he keeps trying until he's busted, because thats the way I play as well. I have a life outside of the pool room as well, but who walks away from an ATM spittin' out 20's? Not this guy.:D
 
Last edited:
Thread title:
"How long must a winner keep playing before he's considered a "nit"?"

A winner will play until it is not worthwhile to him, for whatever reason, to play anymore.

Someone who gets ahead but keeps playing as long as it takes to lose it back again is not a winner at all.

Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8HrnkJgQQE

-Andrew
 
for one thing I never understood the whole "your not a gambler unless you play til your broke or he's broke" thing.....I rarely if ever ask for weight when I gamble, I do give out weight to make games. My point being, I'm there to see who plays better....the money is secondary to me.

This whole thread IMO comes down to negotiation. Set up the parameters BEFORE starting to play.

The reason a thread like this gets heated is because of all the different points of view.....some gamble>>>

to see who plays better.

to make a living.

to see who can outlast the other.

you just have to pick your point of view, then certain posts make sense or not.

G.
 
Yesteryears, it would depend on who it was. But, after recent events, I have a different viewpoint. I want to get paid after every ball during the runout. If we are playing $10 a game, you owe me $1.11 per ball. If I don't make the nine, I'll pay you back. Exact change, also. If you go to the bar, I'm gonna go with you. I actually wear one of those changers on my waist. If we are playing by the set, post up with my sister. Trust noone.

Seriously, if you have to ask, you need to spend more time in a "hostile" poolroom. You'll get the drift.
 
Back
Top