How Often Do You Chalk?

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure this has been asked before, but with the ever-changing nature of equipment I'd like to ask again -- -- -- How often do you find yourself chalking your cue?

In the past I regularly played cheaper cues, usually with LePro tips for cost savings. I chalked about as regularly with those as I would a house cue playing pool.

Now I've got a Kilby cue that Ron put a Moori soft tip on, I'm using the octagonal Predator chalks that I spent a little extra on (though I find them a bit messy), and it's no exaggeration to say I could go 20-25 shots without chalking if I didn't force myself to make it a habit and stay on top of it.

Is this normal? Way out of line with your experiences?

Obviously I welcome and expect any thoughts on recommended, legitimate chalking procedures, but I'm also curious to know everyone's 'theoretical maximum' they feel they might could between chalk applications on their current equipment, expressed perhaps in 'Max # shots' ...

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
That predator stuff is absolut garbage
Use a premium chalk blue diamond or russian magic chalk can ger it herw on azb
I use to use blue diamond but now use rissian magic because its the only premium chalk in green
Chernobyl green!
And its probably the only chalk that has carom balls on the box ;)
They do not mess the ball at all youll find it much cleaner hardly mark the ball
Russian magic chalk has been tested and someone got up 27 hits without miscuing is what i think i read

With the premium chalk you do not need to apply for every single shot
Just one or 2 swipes i do every 3 to 5 shots depending on how hard the balls being hit

Chalking up so much each shot seems overkill and unnecessary
Jaspers seems to be the worst at over chalking in his recent 1 cushion tournament but who am i to question the methods of the number 1 3c player on the planet

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Youll notice immediately the amount that does not slosh on the tip once you get a good chalk
It even feels cleaner

Blue diamond is about $3.50 a piece
Russian magic is about $4 theres an azb member chicago rj thats sells it

I only prefer russian over blue diamond because its green now other than that i cannot tell a difference
But once you use a good chalk youll never pick up masters or amy other garbage chalk again
Totally worth it

I bought 2 boxes of it 2 pieces per box
One piece to keep in each of my cases so i never forget it when i go out to play
And one for the house and an extra

i too love that moori soft tip now

Last edited:

Dean_H

luv the small modalities
Silver Member
Chalk Talk

I use Triangle chalk which is made by the same company that makes Masters Chalk. I chalk before every shot mostly.

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For 3-c I find that I do miss-cue a lot regardless of make of chalk -- I must carefully chalk after every shot - it may be perhaps I am striking too far outside with extreme spin - when I played pool I can go without chalking every 5 - 6 shots - for 3-c I have Hercules medium - on my pool cue I have Le pro on the Shon shaft and I have a standard Mezz shaft with whatever they used at that time when I bought it approx. 5 -6 yrs ago.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure this has been asked before, but with the ever-changing nature of equipment I'd like to ask again -- -- -- How often do you find yourself chalking your cue?

In the past I regularly played cheaper cues, usually with LePro tips for cost savings. I chalked about as regularly with those as I would a house cue playing pool.

Now I've got a Kilby cue that Ron put a Moori soft tip on, I'm using the octagonal Predator chalks that I spent a little extra on (though I find them a bit messy), and it's no exaggeration to say I could go 20-25 shots without chalking if I didn't force myself to make it a habit and stay on top of it.

Is this normal? Way out of line with your experiences?

Obviously I welcome and expect any thoughts on recommended, legitimate chalking procedures, but I'm also curious to know everyone's 'theoretical maximum' they feel they might could between chalk applications on their current equipment, expressed perhaps in 'Max # shots' ...

I try to make chalking part of my pre-shot routine, chalk as I study the shot, so every shot. Except when I forget, lol.

I don't think the brand of chalk makes any performance difference, the only difference, imo, is messiness. On that I agree that predator is a little messy (although hardly garbage) and I personally use Magic Chalk. After about 15 months of use my first piece of Magic Chalk broke, because it was worn so thin that tossing it on a table fractured it.

kilby

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmmm, I've still got perhaps four boxes of 20-year-old Masters blue that I will sell for $10 per cube -- guaranteed never to miscue if you chalk every shot and never aim too far on the perimeter of the ball (with a tight bridge and a smooth stroke -- and a tip not too worn out, and....)!