How small is too small???

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
I bought a house in August. Great deal, great house, amazing payment, lol. However, no space for a table unless it's put in the living room. But that won't do.

I have a single car garage that measures 11' 6" wide from wall to wall, with maybe 2 extra inches to the drywall total above the concrete. The length is sufficient. I sorta figured on making the garage a workspace and play space, since it is so long.

Everywhere I've read says 12' 6" minimum width. Can you even consider going with a smaller room for a 7ft table? Reason for asking is an addition onto the rear of the house is out of the question, so that's the only place I could put one.

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't put a 7 foot table in anything smaller than 13.5' x 17.5'. Those minimum requirements are not really feasible. With a standard cue, you may be able to play but anything near a rail will be unstrokable.

I have a 9' Diamond in a 17' x 20' room and when the cueball is frozen to the short rail the cue is close to hitting the wall with a full backstroke if that gives you any idea of the actual size needed.

roberthans

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cheat it to one side and make a short, properly weighted stick for the short side. Three out of four sides will play normally. Beats the heck out of nothing.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Cheat it to one side and make a short, properly weighted stick for the short side. Three out of four sides will play normally. Beats the heck out of nothing.

I agree, plus, you can run drills on three sides all day long and twice on Sunday :)

LucasBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The problem with that is if you cheat it to one side to get a full cue on one side it would be 63" from the wall to the playing surface. A 7ft tables playing surface is 39" so the short side would only be about 3 feet from the wall. Cues go down to 32" but it's not really fun at all playing with that short of a cue. At least if you center it you can use a 42" cue which will at least feel closer to a normal cue. Really though it's gonna be tight and inconvenient on the sides. It's all whether you are willing to deal with having to grab and use a short cue on shots near the rail. Ideal room for a 7ft would be 13'9" by 17'9".

pooladdiction

shut up and rack em
Silver Member
Get the table. I have a crappy little Kasson 7' I picked up on craig's list and I love it. I spent the money and had a mechanic set it up. You ever get that itch to go bang a few. Well, I never have to leave my house to scratch it

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It depends on your objectives. If your play outside the house is usually on 9-footers, I certainly would not get a 7-footer for my house. You need to practice on a 9-footer in that case.

What I'd do is buy a 9-footer and put one long side up against a longer-dimension wall in your room (or perhaps 1 to 1 1/2 feet out from the wall so you could get in to clear the side pocket). Then you would be able to practice the full array of shots on a full-sized table.

And if you ever move to a location with enough room (on 4 sides) for a 9-footer, you would already have the table!

bignick31985

Life Long Learner
Silver Member
Well, I play league 2 nights a week on 7ft tables, Valleys mainly. Then shoot free pool on Tuesdays, on Valleys. So 3 nights a week on 7ft'ers. I do play on 9ft'ers when I don't play league night, but that isn't as often as it used to be.

I can squeeze it to 11' 8" to the drywall on the width, lol. I just know how much I love playing and waiting to add a 24' x 24' space out back that is enclosed probably won't happen for years.