How to Aim with Side Spin

Sharivari

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usally don't post any of my videos here, because I don't want to use AZB as a promotion tool. But I've recently published a video about how to aim with side spin, that might be helpful for a couple of you here.

Yes - it's not perfect, I left out some details in order to simplify the process of aiming. It would also be a lot more complicated to grasp, especially as a beginner or someone new who just wants to learn about playing pool.

Imho just understanding these concepts, will improve your shotmaking without using any aiming system. Opinions?

Edit: Sorry. Can a mod move this to the right category?

Last edited:

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
Sidespin? I thought we were supposed to hit the cue ball in the middle every time!
Wow, no wonder I keep losing to Gorst and SVB!!!

Willowbrook Wolfy

Your wushu is weak!
These videos confuse me. But I aim weird. When I hit with right firmly from the deflection of my cue, the CB throws the OB ball to the right of where I’m aiming. That’s what works best for me.

It’s backwards. I know right should throw left, but use what works for you. Good video. Hope it helps some players.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These videos confuse me. But I aim weird. When I hit with right firmly from the deflection of my cue, the CB throws the OB ball to the right of where I’m aiming. That’s what works best for me.

It’s backwards. I know right should throw left, but use what works for you. Good video. Hope it helps some players.
Do you cue high and/or downward when you use side? I've found that shooting off the rail, I get this micro masse effect that causes the same thing.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Excellent presentation, explanation and video quality. The only observation I have is his presentation moved from no spin into running English and then inside English almost hurriedly. I followed pretty easily because it was only reviewing what I already knew. I guess I’m so accustomed to Dr. Dave’s teaching style, and the different points he emphasizes that rely on video replay that I found his explanation more fast paced. Like I wrote, I enjoyed it a lot because it reminded me about what I already knew and did almost instinctively. You get that way when you only play with original maple cue shafts for a very long time.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!

What happens (for you) will happen if you're using a high-deflection (regular) shaft. Your cue ball gets pushed to the left when you strike it on the right and causes your object ball to CUT more to the right.
If you're used to it fine, but I use a very low deflection predator vantage shaft (like Carlo Biado) and it makes it much easier to dial-in any use of english compared to my old standard maple shafts.
Yah, it took me a few weeks to get used to ld, but once I did I'll never go back.

Zerksies

Sidespin? I thought we were supposed to hit the cue ball in the middle every time!
Wow, no wonder I keep losing to Gorst and SVB!!!
In theory yes. Most can't hit center of the ball consistently. I was in the pool hall the other day and all I heard was these bangers talking about spin on the ball. You need to hit this ball top right or low left. I'm looking at them play and thinking your stroke is so bad at your not even allowing your stoke to let the English take. You're just jabbing these shots. Spin is a necessary evil. They wanna spin the ball before they even put follow through on the stroke.

hayes1699

Registered
I usally don't post any of my videos here, because I don't want to use AZB as a promotion tool. But I've recently published a video about how to aim with side spin, that might be helpful for a couple of you here.

Yes - it's not perfect, I left out some details in order to simplify the process of aiming. It would also be a lot more complicated to grasp, especially as a beginner or someone new who just wants to learn about playing pool.

Imho just understanding these concepts, will improve your shotmaking without using any aiming system. Opinions?

Edit: Sorry. Can a mod move this to the right category?
Great great great video. You crammed a lot of info in a relatively short video. It’s amazing how many pool players don’t fully understand these concepts. Well done and keep it up!

gerryf

That doesn't sound backwards. That sounds normal.

You hit the cue ball right of center. CB deflects to the left. CB now hits the OB left of the line, cutting it to the right.

If your shooting straight shots and hit the cue ball with unintentional left spin, the object ball will go left of the line. If you hit the CB with right spin, the OB will go right of the pocket.

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
In theory yes. Most can't hit center of the ball consistently. I was in the pool hall the other day and all I heard was these bangers talking about spin on the ball. You need to hit this ball top right or low left. I'm looking at them play and thinking your stroke is so bad at your not even allowing your stoke to let the English take. You're just jabbing these shots. Spin is a necessary evil. They wanna spin the ball before they even put follow through on the stroke.
Yep, so many newbies are concerned way too much about using English before they even get the fundamentals down lol.
When I help newbies one of the first things I show them is how English affects shots. Then I tell them not to worry about using sidespin and just to focus on improving their stroke mechanics, angles, and speed control by using only center, stun and follow.
Once they become somewhat proficient with that, THEN I help them with advanced English (sidespin and draw).