How to buy a custom cue

Buzzard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of years ago I was playing a guy and he had a beautiful custom cue. He invited me to try it and when I picked it up it was like there was nothing there. I never felt anything like it in 60 years of playing pool. How can one buy a cue online from a reputable maker or seller and know that it is the right cue, balance weight etc? Is it possible?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A couple of years ago I was playing a guy and he had a beautiful custom cue. He invited me to try it and when I picked it up it was like there was nothing there. I never felt anything like it in 60 years of playing pool. How can one buy a cue online from a reputable maker or seller and know that it is the right cue, balance weight etc? Is it possible?
Only way to get one you like for sure is to buy one used and be able to try it first. Buying new and sight unseen you're always going to have to get used to it. Sometimes you get lucky and its perfect and sometimes it just doesn't feel right. If you really like that cue i'd contact the builder and see if he can re-create the specs. It still won't be exactly the same.

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Sounds like one really needs to know what they want. Thanks for the reply!
In all honesty it would be best to go to a local cue maker (if you can find one) and test their wares. No way to know without the cue in your hand.

chenjy9

Only way is to figure out what you like first...
  • Where do you want the balance point?
  • Around what weight do you want?
  • What shaft taper are you looking for?
  • Does it matter if it's low deflection?
  • What hardness (or brand) of tip do you prefer?
  • What kind of design are you hoping for?
  • What type of wood did you want to have?
  • Do you have a preference on the joint pin?

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Only way is to figure out what you like first...
  • Where do you want the balance point?
  • Around what weight do you want?
  • What shaft taper are you looking for?
  • Does it matter if it's low deflection?
  • What hardness (or brand) of tip do you prefer?
  • What kind of design are you hoping for?
  • What type of wood did you want to have?
  • Do you have a preference on the joint pin?
29 or 30” shaft
Wrap or no wrap
Bumper- less(oh yeah)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve had a zillion cues made for me. Knew all my specs, numbers etc. And a couple times the cue came out pretty good. Not amazing.

After owning, flipping, trading, a zillion cues my advice is this if your looking for a player-not a piece of art or a safe queen (I have lots of those as well)

For a player, buy a used cue. Not wore out or used up. Can be a high mileage cue that was refinished. Can be a new cue that a cue maker has that the buyer didn’t pick up-it’s used to you because you didn’t have it made. You can take it for a spin and see if it’s your flavor.

I wouldn’t consider buying and speccing out new “player” for me. Not a Chace. I’d play with everything possible-ignore the price & looks get what feels best and brings the best out of you. Can’t do that ordering a cue.

If you want art, fancy, something to store some $ in as a bearer asset then commissioning a cue is fun watching your idea come to life. But in all my years that cue never was close to the best player.

Used - player
Collector -new “have it your way at Burger King”

Good luck

Fatboy

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go to SBE or similar event and test drive a few hundred. Many you pick up and, no. So it's not so hard. Unfortunately SBE has been canceled for two years now. Maybe this spring, I hope.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve had a zillion cues made for me. Knew all my specs, numbers etc. And a couple times the cue came out pretty good. Not amazing.

After owning, flipping, trading, a zillion cues my advice is this if your looking for a player-not a piece of art or a safe queen (I have lots of those as well)

For a player, buy a used cue. Not wore out or used up. Can be a high mileage cue that was refinished. Can be a new cue that a cue maker has that the buyer didn’t pick up-it’s used to you because you didn’t have it made. You can take it for a spin and see if it’s your flavor.

I wouldn’t consider buying and speccing out new “player” for me. Not a Chace. I’d play with everything possible-ignore the price & looks get what feels best and brings the best out of you. Can’t do that ordering a cue.

If you want art, fancy, something to store some $ in as a bearer asset then commissioning a cue is fun watching your idea come to life. But in all my years that cue never was close to the best player.

Used - player
Collector -new “have it your way at Burger King”

Good luck

Fatboy

I half agree. I do agree with trying everything you can but once you do settle on that a custom cue made to your specifications especially if you like something other than 19 oz 13mm, 58" etc, will be better in the long term.

In my case I want a cue that is 18 oz or below and has 12.5 or 12.4 mm shafts. Custom is the way to go for me. Since I have settled into what i want every cue I have received from a custom cue builder has been exceptional. I even got Tascarella to make a 17.8 oz SS jointed cue that is out of this world.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I half agree. I do agree with trying everything you can but once you do settle on that a custom cue made to your specifications especially if you like something other than 19 oz 13mm, 58" etc, will be better in the long term.

In my case I want a cue that is 18 oz or below and has 12.5 or 12.4 mm shafts. Custom is the way to go for me. Since I have settled into what i want every cue I have received from a custom cue builder has been exceptional. I even got Tascarella to make a 17.8 oz SS jointed cue that is out of this world.
Yes if you want a “out of normal” spec cue then having it built is the plan.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To try different cues just ask around at the bar during league or tournaments. Find a maker you like then ask on FB if anyone in your area has one to try.

Lots of ways to get your hands on lots of cues ;)

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
Hit is where it is. Each player have preferences for weight, balance point, wrap, shaft size, tip, points vs no points, etc. But feedback I get is the “hit”. That seems to be most important to most of my customers. And that involves how cue is put together (cored and bored, not cored, bolts, etc.) and what materials…all can be different because each player has different wants and comfort zones.