How to get to apa singels

Yes, because getting disqualified for "letting their speed out" in regionals is so much smarter than cruising through an 8 person bracket. Pay all that money instead of work an easy board? If somebody's that stupid, they're doing it wrong anyways.

You've got it nailed down, so why not take it off like a boss? :rolleyes:

Cause im too well known to try and hustle the APA in my area. And its not worth it to travel to play an APA league. Also I am semi retired from pool anyways.

But I know players who have done such things.
 
TheNewSharkster...I may be incorrect. I have been out of the league for many years. When I was an LO, they were 16 man boards @ $10 each.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I bet they still offer 8 and 16 person boards. Sounds like the price is the same either way. I am mostly curious because if the min isn't 8 people than the TC may be right about just buying the board.

Doesn't matter to me because I think my money is better spent on a local $5-$10 tourny that pays 100% of the money back to players.... and even if I made it to regionals, being a SL6, I would have problems winning in a long race against the best SL7 around here.
 
If you can have a board with less than 8 people who is to say you can't have a board with 2 people?
if we only have 2 players on the board they will need to put up $60 each. The total for our boards is $120. If we have 12 players then its $10 per person. We split the cost between everyone who attends and if its too much $$$ and the players don't want to pony up the $$$ we cancel. Our LO would allow me to buy the board for $120 if I wanted the spot to Vegas.

I'm guessing it's different among all the leagues:/
Loren

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
 
I, too, have been told by my LO that it doesn't matter how many people play, just so long as they get the full price for the board. He did suggest that we shouldn't try to set up a qualifier with only a few people, and that he doesnt generally do so with less than six players. So he's not trying to set it up for people to buy the whole board, but by the sound of it, it could be done.
 
Get to singles the right way. If you can make it through your region the right way you might even have a chance at Nationals. And to be fair.... Nationals no one sandbags so I would only go out there if you hide your speed or you play in a very good area.

Or you just want to go to Vegas...
 
Guess I just don't understand. Why buy a local board? To get to Vegas, don't you still have to win a Regional event? If the players objective is to just say I played at Nationals, why not just go for Mini Mania? No qualifying required. Just a valid membership card. And patience.

Lyn
 
Get to singles the right way. If you can make it through your region the right way you might even have a chance at Nationals. And to be fair.... Nationals no one sandbags so I would only go out there if you hide your speed or you play in a very good area.

Or you just want to go to Vegas...

If you have an A player playing in the 5's bracket you can still play down a few gears unless you have to to win...
 
something to bring up that no one has said yet is that in many instances a strong player will show up for a qualifier and no one wants to play if they are in that players bracket. The LO imo should allow that player to buy a board if the whole field refuses to compete with him.
 
something to bring up that no one has said yet is that in many instances a strong player will show up for a qualifier and no one wants to play if they are in that players bracket. The LO imo should allow that player to buy a board if the whole field refuses to compete with him.

Our local league has the exact opposite problem. There are too few SL2 and SL3 to make a board. Even when presented with the unbelievable opportunity given the National competitors. Last year or so, there were sixteen or so qualified for Nationals to win $15000! Wish I had that opportunity.

Lyn
 
I, too, have been told by my LO that it doesn't matter how many people play, just so long as they get the full price for the board.

My current LO kind of does it this way, but she won't run a board unless she has a minimum of 6 players so the ones that do play won't have to pony-up so much money.

This is some first-hand experience that I have witnessed happening in the past concerning singles boards (NOT in my current league area): I have seen six-to-eight person singles boards where most of the entrants were already qualified. These guys had their wives play in it and threw their matches to them so they too could qualify. Goes to show you that almost anything APA (and other leagues as well) related can be manipulated. I'm not bashing the APA, but because being in FOUR APA leagues this session and having been an APA member for 7 straight years, I feel like I have earned the right to say that APA related things (skill levels, singles boards, scorekeeping, rules, etc.) fall short of what they should be. That said, it is still a great league for not only beginning players to get their feet wet in, but also for family and friends to enjoy a night out of the house and throw back a few "cold ones".

I have played in only one singles board (many years ago) and have no desire to ever do it again. Las Vegas has never been, nor will it ever be the reason I play in APA leagues. If I wanted to go there bad enough, I'd just go buy me a plane ticket and fly out there on my own.

Shoot well my friends!!!

Maniac
 
I have bought a board before and won the regionals. Sometimes you don't have time to play a local board. It's not like your cheating anyone. Especially if you are the one coughing up the dough.
 
Our local league has the exact opposite problem. There are too few SL2 and SL3 to make a board. Even when presented with the unbelievable opportunity given the National competitors. Last year or so, there were sixteen or so qualified for Nationals to win $15000! Wish I had that opportunity.

Lyn

No kidding! I've been down there twice on my own and once to watch my g/f play. She got bumped to a 4 right before Vegas, so she got hosed on playing in the low bracket. She won just one in the 4/5 bracket and is now stuck as a 4 after Vegas. I did get a couple of 3s to qualify for regionals, though, and I think that they should do alright. I'll be playing for my chance in February for 8 and 9. Been playing alright lately, so I'm hoping to make it in at least one of em.
 
Back
Top