How to prepare for a tournament

Ih82luz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a month away from a tournament, and I want to prepare for it so I can feel ready.

My thought was to work on cue ball control drills, breaking, cut shots, and league play to get me ready.

I also have a few friends over to play games against them during the week to gauge my progress.

How do others prepare for tournaments?

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Lucky underpants and socks. You can't wash them for a week before the tournament.....and yes you have to wear them daily leading up to the tournament.

Eating and sleeping right wouldn't hurt either.

Ih82luz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm also thinking, raw egg breakfast, sparring with butchered sides of beef, and chasing chickens in an alley.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a month away from a tournament, and I want to prepare for it so I can feel ready.

My thought was to work on cue ball control drills, breaking, cut shots, and league play to get me ready.

I also have a few friends over to play games against them during the week to gauge my progress.

How do others prepare for tournaments?

How to prepare for a tournament? This all depends of what your skill level is.

If you are pro or semi-pro...I would say practice for eight hours a day for three days straight.

If you are a beginner, I'd say you need to practice all the different shots that come up during regular play. Set up different shots and shoot them until you don't miss.

I don't think you would have enough time to practice everything, but just get used to making all the easy shots and be consistent. Practice like you are playing in a tournament and don't shoot the cue ball until you know you have the shot lined up right. Practice concentrating and being serious.

Just remember all the balls are round and they only go where you hit them. The pockets are twice as big as the ball diameter and they just sit there and don't move. So basically, the game is easy.

Get it in your head that the table is your table, and you don't want anyone else shooting on it. So...run out every time.

Keep your ferrule clean with no chalk on it. Make sure your tip is properly groomed and your shaft clean and smooth. Use only one good piece of chalk and don't share it. Make sure it is a good piece that goes on you tip. Not all pieces of chalk are made equal.

And after all this, pray to the pool Gods. Good luck!:thumbup:

cesarmorales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few days before the tournament practice as much as you can on any shot that is half of the table. The pro's are not great players because they make alot of long shots, they just don't miss the easy shots. Before the tournament get plenty of rest and go in there with an attitude that you are going to play great. The game is half mental.

Make sure your cue and other equipment is in great condition. Spending 30 minutes on cleaning your shaft and shaping up the tip will make a big difference in not only how you play but mentally.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
I like too work on my safety play as well as kicking and the things u said good luck :grin:

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Write down a training program up to 3-4 days before tournament and follow it.
The last few days just play the game by the rules of the tournament.
You know what you need to work on and what you have time to work on until then.
Every night before going to bed write down just a couple of lines, your thoughts on that day's practice.
Read them over at the end of the week, reflect on them.
Don't be easy on yourself, don't be too hard, just do the work.
Be patient, good luck!!
Petros

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watch the Appleton Video "Perfect Practise" it covers some excellent drills and also the preparation for a tournament and the mindset required to compete in one.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have a month (call it 30 days).
You practice 8 hours a day for 27 days in a row shooting every shot as if it was the last shot of the tournament for the win.
Then you don't pick up the stick for the last 3 days.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are your strengths and weaknesses? I would spend 3/4 of practice time working on your weaknesses.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
depends

I think getting a good nights sleep is important. Save the booze for a victory celebration. Practice 6 to 8 hours a day and play the game your going to play against a good shooter if you can. Or do what Efren does, play some rotation by your self and play some chess. The majority of the players I see at a tournament get nervous and stressed and self destruct, me included.

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone should be working a little every day(that you can) for tournaments throughout the year.

Think of it this way. If you have a dental appointment coming up in a month, do you start brushing and flossing then?