How to put new insert into slate for rails.

Gravey39

I just bought this used table. I’m having a problem with two bolts for the rails. It seems like the insert is no longer there. Is there a way to replace this insert? And or add a new one? I was thinking about just adding and insert into the wood backing of the slate and going that route. But I didn’t know if that would throw off the rails.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought this used table. I’m having a problem with two bolts for the rails. It seems like the insert is no longer there. Is there a way to replace this insert? And or add a new one? I was thinking about just adding and insert into the wood backing of the slate and going that route. But I didn’t know if that would throw off the rails.
It would really help if you can post pics of the table, the issue at hand and the make model of the table. Otherwise, it's shooting in the dark.

Gravey39

It would really help if you can post pics of the table, the issue at hand and the make model of the table. Otherwise, it's shooting in the dark.
It’s a table this old guy put together in the 70’s from spare parts. On the side of the slate there’s holes with a insert imbedded in there. That’s where the bolt with the washer goes into to tighten the rail. You’ll see the bolt in the picture. On three of the bolts around the table. The bolt won’t tighten up.

Attachments

• C0F3091D-914A-45B8-8B38-14FB49FD3C49.jpg
    C0F3091D-914A-45B8-8B38-14FB49FD3C49.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 88

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s a table this old guy put together in the 70’s from spare parts. On the side of the slate there’s holes with a insert imbedded in there. That’s where the bolt with the washer goes into to tighten the rail. You’ll see the bolt in the picture. On three of the bolts around the table. The bolt won’t tighten up.
Did you try a longer bolt?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put a screw driver in there and see if you can feel it. It's either stripped or not oriented the right way. From the slate bed you should see the filled area where the capture nuts are installed in the slate. You may need to install new. Perhaps a mechanic can assist with the procedure to remove and replace.

Tablemaker

Registered
Put a screw driver in there and see if you can feel it. It's either stripped or not oriented the right way. From the slate bed you should see the filled area where the capture nuts are installed in the slate. You may need to install new. Perhaps a mechanic can assist with the procedure to remove and replace.
...could be quite a project if the inserts are leaded in from the bottom