How to stop snapping cues on the break

Stryfe2010

Registered
I didn't want to high jack the other thread on breaking, but it did have some excellent pictures of SVB breaking and the bend of the shaft as he follows through on the break, but I've had to change my break to a more upright position with the cue coming up from the table, because i allways had a problem were sometimes but not allways on my follow through I've had cues snap at he joint.

Does anybody have some pointers on staying down on the break with the follow through but not have the joint snap?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stryfe2010 said:
I didn't want to high jack the other thread on breaking, but it did have some excellent pictures of SVB breaking and the bend of the shaft as he follows through on the break, but I've had to change my break to a more upright position with the cue coming up from the table, because i allways had a problem were sometimes but not allways on my follow through I've had cues snap at he joint.

Does anybody have some pointers on staying down on the break with the follow through but not have the joint snap?

I've never seen that. I saw a cue get instantly warped way beyond playable on a single break by the late Johnny B though.

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
Keep your cue level and follow-thru. All that shaft-bending is pointless.
Harms the cue and the cloth.

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Well, in my opinion there is a difference between staying down on the break and actually forcing your shaft into the bed of the table and bending it so much that it would snap at the joint. I have an image of Tom Cruise in The Color of Money leaning into the shaft on the bed of the table. I usually break from the bed of the table but I do occasionally break from the rail. I have a pretty solid break, at least people say I have a lot of power to it, and my cue doesn't get mashed down into the table at all.

I can't see what you are doing so I can't really give any advice but if I was to take a stab at it I would say stop pushing down on your shaft when you break. You're probably raising your elbow up on your follow through. If you could video yourself you could see where your problem is.
MULLY

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm like the other guys on bending the cue. I think the guys that do it are doing it for show. It doesn't mean you have a powerful break, it just means that you are forcing the cue to bend. It's a move that is unnecessary.---Smitty

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm like the other guys on bending the cue. I think the guys that do it are doing it for show. It doesn't mean you have a powerful break, it just means that you are forcing the cue to bend. It's a move that is unnecessary.---Smitty

RunoutalloverU

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recommend watching some of the big breakers on youtube. Jon Kucharo, Bustamante, Alcano, Larry Nevel, Colin Colenso's power breaking instructional video. Most of these guys are not bending the cue into the table atleast they aren't leaving it there.

Maybe an instructor could tell you more, but from what ive seen studying some of the big breakers, its a lot like a a golf swing or a baseball swing. There are a lot of variances, but the guys who do it the best have a lot of things in common. So I think you have to have certain characteristics to have a powerful break, but there are going to be some guys who bend the cue of the table.

Ive also seen some guys have different breaks at different times. Evgeny Stalev, one of my favorite players, breaks in the US Open video against Warren Kiamco, he crushes the break, and bends the cue of the table. And then in an 8 ball video with him breaking he lets the cue fly forward more.

So I don't know you may want to video tape yourself and find a good instructor to help you out.