How to treat a cork wrap...?

Peer

Norwegian in California
Silver Member
I have an old Brunswick cue with a cork wrap (see below). Although the cork is quite well preserved for being a 110+ year old cue, it's very fragile -- just a poke with my nail will take a piece out of it. It's also very dry, too dry for my taste.

So I wonder how to treat it -- to make it stronger, last longer and less dry (but of course still preserve the soft cork-feel). I wonder if tung oil or perhaps bowling alley wax would work..? Since the cue is quite unique, I can't afford experimenting.

Any help appreciated,

-- peer

Attachments

• brunswick-corkwrap.jpg
    brunswick-corkwrap.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 189

Craig Fales

Registered bubinga user
Silver Member
Once it breaks down it's done for. You could put a coat of white glue on but I think that would end being a tacky mess. rewraping is always an option.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
I think a professional restorer is what is called for. However, it may be more valuable unrestored.

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
I agree, leave it original, unless you are seriously crazy enough to be thinking of playing with it?

Peer

Norwegian in California
Silver Member
AuntyDan said:
Leave it original, unless you are seriously crazy enough to be thinking of playing with it?

Me..?! Crazy..?! Who would ever think that?! Oh no, I'm gonna keep that cue under lock & key deep in my safe, only to take it out once every blue moon to look at.

-- peer

(Note to Ryan Theewen: Buddy boy, don't you dare tell them ;^)