how to update an oil finish?

thekid77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi friends,

I'm wondering how to update an oil finish (polymerized tung or linseed) on a cue without using anything even mildly abrasive?

Also, for an oil finished cue, do I need to be concerned about the cue drying out? I live in the San Joaquin Valley in CA. Low humidity, but cue is kept in a Longoni Shuttle case at room temperature.

Forgive me in advance for my ignorance. Any help you could offer is greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oiled needs more oil occasionally. Use linseed oil and just rub it in good. After a couple of days rub it in again, without applying more oil. Repeat every 2 days till you like the feel.

danieldakota53

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
#0000 steel wool , lightly rubbing just the sheen off the existing finish, wipe with a clean tack cloth, then refinish. the more coats, the more the shine will come out. Adding the new layer of oil with a lint free cloth,light coats. Then a final steel wool rub down,tack cloth, and liquid rubbing compound to buff to a shine. all doing it with the grain of the wood. I do gun stock refinishing as a hobby, and this works very well for me.

Wes Moran

The Crappy Cue Guy
Silver Member
How'd it turn out?

Did you follow the advice of Daniel? I'm always weary of using steel wool in an instance like this...it always causes me to worry whether or not any of the steel wool fibers might become imbedded into the wood. I personally have used a similar technique as Renegade described. I played with the shaft I refinished five years ago, for the first time in three years, last night, and it is still one of the smoothest shafts to have ever pass between my fingers.