How would you play this?

crappoolguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://CueTable.com/P/?@4DWJN3ENLk1GabF1HNLo2IWhi3JPVl3KXGR3LXNn4MMpj3NWvK2PNUK@

I was faced with this situation today. This was an important match with a lot of pressure (hill-hill). Thankfully I managed to run out and win the match. This is probably the best 8 ball clearance I have ever done (I don't play a lot of 8 ball by the way) and I would like to know what you guys would have done in this situation. :) :grin-square:

I was stripes by the way.

Last edited:

rcarson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
crappoolguy said:
Sorry, I messed up.

CueTable Help

Assuming the 11 wasn't makable, this is what I see of the bat.

1. you have a bank on the 9 into the side pocket, not a bad shot as with a little top left you should be able to get an angle on the 10 ball to break out the 2 ball cluster.

2. A safety of the 10 ball, hitting the right side of the ten and leaving the cue ball behind the 2 ball cluster.

3. Make the ten ball in the top left corner pocket coming towards the center of the table for shape on the 13 in the side or corner, but that only leaves you with two shots and no easy shot for the break out.

If I was in a friendly game I probably would have went for the bank and got an angle on the 10 to break out the cluster.

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd shoot the 10 for shape on the 13, then use the shot on the 13 to break out the 12. The barn door is open from there.

CueTable Help

Last edited:

Derek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are we to assume you are stripes?

I would agree with the 10-ball first and then trying to break the cluster out. However, defense seems more preferable after making the 10.

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
10 first. then 11 if it goes, then 13, the rest should be easy.

does the 11 go? if not is the carom on?

crappoolguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 11 did not go and the carom was not on. As I said, I was stripes :D.

When I tell you guys what I did you are going to think I was crazy!

Derek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
crappoolguy said:
As I said, I was stripes :D.

I read posts in their full content about as well as I listen to my wife . . . so not very well. :p

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
crappoolguy said:
The 11 did not go and the carom was not on. As I said, I was stripes :D.

When I tell you guys what I did you are going to think I was crazy!

Did you make the 10 and then somewhere in the very near future played the 12 rail first off the 11 into the corner...sending the 11 toward the lower corner

crappoolguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ok, first off I'd like to say that in the league that I was playing in, we play on American equipment, 9 foot table, 2 1/4 inch balls, etc. But we play UK 8 ball rules. My oponent had just fouled and under these rules that means I get two visits. So I decided to attempt the 14-11-12 combination. I diagramed it accuratly so you can see that this really was tough. I played it real slow so it would be over the pocket if I missed. Thankfully I didn't and it dropped. I was on the 13 in the side afterward, and it was all pretty straight forward from there. I didn't have to use the second visit but without it I certainly wouldn't have taken the combo on.

Last edited:

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
crappoolguy said:
ok, first off I'd like to say that in the league that I was playing in, we play on American equipment, 9 foot table, 2 1/4 inch balls, etc. But we play UK 8 ball rules. My oponent had just fouled and under these rules that means I get two visits. So I decided to attempt the 14-11-12 combination. I diagramed it accuratly so you can see that this really was tough. I played it real slow so it would be over the pocket if I missed. Thankfully I didn't and it dropped. I was on the 13 in the side afterward, and it was all pretty straight forward from there. I didn't have to use the second visit but without it I certainly wouldn't have taken the combo on.

I think those rules would have been good info. With normal rules, I would have played the 10 and shape on the 13. I would try to land on the 13 so I could slide down for the 11 cross corner. When I play the 11 I want the CB to go across the face of the 12. this will push it out from the rail. I will Play shape for the 9. Shot it, the 14 and then the 12.

CueTable Help

Last edited:

spoons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm being lazy right now, so hopefully I describe this well enough that it makes sense.

Yes, those rules would have helped in the original post, but assuming BCA rules, I really like playing the 10 first and then hiding the cue ball behind the 11-12 cluster off of the 14. With the 13 where it lies, the 14 off the rail, and the 8 blocking the kick at the 7, there's a really good chance that you'll get ball in hand. I know I wouldn't want to play it from there.

Then, with ball in hand, you've got a host of options.

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jason Robichaud said:
I think those rules would have been good info. With normal rules, I would have played the 10 and shape on the 13. I would try to land on the 13 so I could slide down for the 11 cross corner. When I play the 11 I want the CB to go across the face of the 12. this will push it out from the rail. I will Play shape for the 9. Shot it, the 14 and then the 12.

Looks similiar to my suggestion. In fact, if I came short on the shape on the 13. Your run out would be a good alternative. The key shot in your run out layout would be the 11 ball bank with the bump of the 12.

In my layout, the key shot would be the bumping of the 12.

The 3 ball combo is a low percentage shot. It took some courage to go for it. I wonder if he would have taken that shot if some serious Cashola was on the line.

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
crappoolguy said:

yeah the rules wouldve helped. Of course everyone assumed you were playing bca

AZE

DeucesCracked Instructor
Silver Member
How can you not explain those rules first? lol

Do you have to call your pocket?
Either way obv shooting the 14 and breaking that stuff out is the shot I think anyone can see that.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
me... I like the 10 to the bottom left corner... hitting bottom right..stiff.. sending the cueball into the 12 which bumps the 11 cueball goes cross side and back leaving the 13.. and you dig out from there...

in that spot I like shuffling the cards.. the 13 in the side is fairly easy to get to and offers alot of different leaves depending on how you hit it... even if I miss the leave on 13... i'm going to get a line on the 9.. after that .. who knows when all my balls are clustered on one rail like that and I have not 1 but 2 escape routes.. I'm going to shuffle the cards...