Humanity, Pool, and a Heartfelt Thanks (Long)

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, what a situation and story that restores my faith in people in the pool world, in general.

My friend, Steve, comes into town with his wife and decides to hit a poolroom or two. We kind of go "in" on whatever tourney or action we come upon. Well, we find out there is a tourney in Wilson. So...off we go. It's only about a thirty minute drive from Raleigh. It had been years since I'd been to this place. Old school room with tile floors and $1.50 beer. They had those old tables with red around the rails. Centennial? I don't know. I just know they had monster pockets. It makes a no-player look like Johnny.

Well, I walk in and sit down and start asking about the tourney. The owner makes me either a seven or eight. He said they go 2-8, and they have to start me high. He asked me how I play and I said, "Pretty good. Rank me as whatever and I'll try to outrun it." I didn't want to be three balls underranked. Whatever. Well, I throw out some balls with a very nice dude warming up. These pockets are huge. Anyway, I noticed my name on the board as a "9." The owner said I played way better than I let on. Hey, I told him to rank me whatever.

So, I draw a nice lady first. Damn, I was giving her the 6,7, 8, 9. Race to five. Every time I'd break the table open, she could run out. She could really make balls with consistency. So, I decided to play a little hide and seek with her. So, here comes the soft break. I squeaked out 5-4. Well, people started getting loud about me stealing, etc. My next match didn't go so well. 6,7,8, 9 and I hung up the six twice, miscued on the seven, missed the seven once and scratched on the eight. I lost 5-4. The guy played nowhere the lady named Karen (?) from earlier.

Well, Karen and her husband (?) came up and started talking to me about how she could jump to the next level. Kicking and safety play will do it for her, I promise. She could play most of the girls right now. She asked me how much I'd charge to work with her. Of course I said nothing. I could tell she had the burn. Anyway, while we were chatting, the guy who shouldn't have beat me starts barking about his friend. "Bet a hundred."
"You got me. We must play two sets." "Deal. Five ahead."

My buddy and I scrounged up a couple of small bets on the side. Well, here we go. This kid could really play on these soft tables. I am down two games when I started breathing bad. You see, I have asthma severely. I had run out of spray. I started telling my opponent that I needed a break and to go buy a spray to finish. Everyone was standing around watching and laughing that I was trying to get a way out. Bullshit. I couldn't breathe and started to get a headache and weak and faint. Asthma sucks. I was gonna try to fade it. The set goes on for about an hour with him up one game. Karen and her husband approach me. "Want us to go get you a spray?" "Man, you would be a Godsend." "We're off. Be right back."

I tried to play, and take a break but noone was buying it. I was now down four. I couldn't even make a ball. I was trying to hang and fade but to no avail. Karen and her husband had been gone about 45 minutes and I felt the emergency room coming on. Suddenly, as he takes down the set, they walk in with not one, but two sprays. "You only owe us for one, since that's what you asked for. Put the other one in your case for next time." I couldn't believe this act. I paid them for both and went outside and sprayed up and got fresh air.

"Double up and jack it up, boys!" As I walked back in. They wouldn't double up. They actually wanted to play a race to five for a buck. After being up a five ahead!? "You can bet whatever on this set." But, it got quiet. Everyone was pulling up chairs and standing and waiting for this next one. Bottom line, we agreed to do the same thing. Twelve or thirteen minutes later and I had won 5 in a row. We collected and paid the time.

This selfless, thoughtful act not only saved me a few hundred; but, kept me from the emergency room. I didn't even know these people and they looked out for me. Thank you in Wilson. You not only will be a force to reckon with in the pool world, but you now have a friend for life.

I know this was long, but this person, whether they ever hear this story, should be recognized. And for those of you who were loud and want to play some more (you know who you are) I left my number at the bar. I'm close. By the way, the actual player was nothing but a gentleman. He even was gonna give me the break to go buy a spray. It was everyone else, backer included, that said no to some time. Thanks again, Karen and hubby.
 
while I too would have run to a CVS, Walgreens, or the like for you. I got the opposite meaning out of your post....all the railbirds and the backer not understanding a medical condition is WEAK! Good on your opponent for SEMI-understanding, but he could have told his staker that he needed a bite to eat anyway or something...again, I would have. I wanna play someone with their real game, not someone suffering from an Asthma attack...sheesh.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top