I have a question about pocket down angles, mine are about 8°

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was told for tighter pockets like I am doing at 1/2" smaller that 12-15° down and 141° / 102° opening is best. Because I am tightening up my pockets by 1/2" I want them to be tight but forgiving not like my old Ohausen at 145° that rattled everything. My pockets angles seem right but its the down angles at 8° I am concerned about. I have a miter saw and know the method used to cut them but if I am understanding correctly a dual bevel miter saw is needed, correct? So my options are leave them or buy a new saw. I do have a friend that has a dual bevel DeWalt but he is not conveniently located to me.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was told for tighter pockets like I am doing at 1/2" smaller that 12-15° down and 141° / 102° opening is best. Because I am tightening up my pockets by 1/2" I want them to be tight but forgiving not like my old Ohausen at 145° that rattled everything. My pockets angles seem right but its the down angles at 8° I am concerned about. I have a miter saw and know the method used to cut them but if I am understanding correctly a dual bevel miter saw is needed, correct? So my options are leave them or buy a new saw. I do have a friend that has a dual bevel DeWalt but he is not conveniently located to me.

Thoughts?

You need a combination saw to properly cut the down angles and 8 degrees is too shallow. Have you looked into renting a saw?

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You need a combination saw to properly cut the down angles and 8 degrees is too shallow. Have you looked into renting a saw?

I consider myself quite the amateur woodworker and I can't place what you mean from combination saw. I was planning on using THIS method. I can do one side of the rails, to do the other side I need my saw to bevel the other way.

He has 3 videos.

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I consider myself quite the amateur woodworker and I can't place what you mean from combination saw. I was planning on using THIS method. I can do one side of the rails, to do the other side I need my saw to bevel the other way.

He has 3 videos. Warning; He. Talks. Very. Slow. And. Drags......... Ooooooooon

Auto correct typo: Compound Miter Saw.