i have an unknown insert shaft, possible to change?

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
i have a Z2 with an unknown thread, it looks quick release, possibly pechauer, is it possible to change it to uniloc? and can someone do it for me?
or how can i find out what insert is it and ill get a cue that fits it?

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Insert pic

Attachments

• 20230909_195231.jpg
    20230909_195231.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 58

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's akways harder to tell the thread on an insert in a picture compared to a picture of a joint screw. If it's yhe same shaft as in your other thread then Pechauer quick release 5/16x14 is a good guess
If it was fitted for an import like AA cues, they have a knock off to Pechauer's quick release, only it's a netric M8x1.25.
Any thread can be changed by an experienced mechanic.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
It's a pretty simple job, but if you take it to someone that doesn't know what they're doing, it can go wrong.
Try to locate an actual cue maker, not a repair person with a cheesy lathe.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a pretty simple job, but if you take it to someone that doesn't know what they're doing, it can go wrong.
Try to locate an actual cue maker, not a repair person with a cheesy lathe.
I always appreciate your input.
Cheesy lathes?
Do you have a list?

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
It's akways harder to tell the thread on an insert in a picture compared to a picture of a joint screw. If it's yhe same shaft as in your other thread then Pechauer quick release 5/16x14 is a good guess
If it was fitted for an import like AA cues, they have a knock off to Pechauer's quick release, only it's a netric M8x1.25.
Any thread can be changed by an experienced mechanic.
I've got a break cue with that joint screw, it doesn't fit. So 99 percent its pechauer.

Angus

If it didn't have the brass insert, can the threads be filled with something and drilled/rethreaded?
Have no idea if this is possible, this thread just made me curious about that option.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Certainly possible to change it, but no way you fill a brass insert with something and then drill/tap that for something smaller. That would just be a really ugly end result.

Have someone competent remove the insert, core it if necessary, and put in whatever new joint you want. Not rocket science, you should have no problem finding someone to do this for you.

Angus

Certainly possible to change it, but no way you fill a brass insert with something and then drill/tap that for something smaller. That would just be a really ugly end result.

Have someone competent remove the insert, core it if necessary, and put in whatever new joint you want. Not rocket science, you should have no problem finding someone to do this for you.

Thanks for the response tg, didnt think my question was rocket science, but my question was if it did not have the brass insert could it be filled and retapped?
Or would you have to drill threads out and install a brass insert?

Angus

Thanks tps&b,
NO BRASS INSERT IN SHAFT.
Ok, more specifically can a 3/8x11 shaft that has no brass insert in it just threaded. Can that be filled with something and then retapped to a 3/8x10 or does it require the 3/8x11 to be drilled out then a brass insert added to fit a 3/8x10 pin.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
While it may work somewhat, you will likely wipe out a lot of the thread engagement and end up with a pretty sketchy fit. You don't have to have a brass insert for 3/8-10. Best solution would be to bore the shaft, plug it, and then drill/tap the 3/8-10. Relatively simple job for most any cuemaker or repair guy, assuming the shaft is not warped, IMHO.

Angus

While it may work somewhat, you will likely wipe out a lot of the thread engagement and end up with a pretty sketchy fit. You don't have to have a brass insert for 3/8-10. Best solution would be to bore the shaft, plug it, and then drill/tap the 3/8-10. Relatively simple job for most any cuemaker or repair guy, assuming the shaft is not warped, IMHO.
Thank you, that's what I was looking for could it be filled or plugged and retapped. Not opposed to brass but didn't know what the options were was all.

tg_vegas

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
On a 3/8-10, most don't use an insert at all. The threads are large enough and coarse enough that wood or phenolic holds just fine. No need for brass. McDermott has been selling for years with 3/8-10 with no inserts.