I just can't stand all the luck!

TwinkleToes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, a player with more skill has the advantage over a player with less skill. But, the fact that so much of pool depends upon good rolls, is enough to make a person quit pool. SVB has made some great shots but just didn't get the rolls.

Yes, there are times when he has got the rolls. But that's my point. So much depends upon luck...and you never know who is going to be the fortunate man with the luck. Pool will drive a sane man crazy, because of all the luck!

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Luck no excuse...

Yes, a player with more skill has the advantage over a player with less skill. But, the fact that so much of pool depends upon good rolls, is enough to make a person quit pool. SVB has made some great shots but just didn't get the rolls.

Yes, there are times when he has got the rolls. But that's my point. So much depends upon luck...and you never know who is going to be the fortunate man with the luck. Pool will drive a sane man crazy, because of all the luck!

I've been a part of the pool scene for 61 years. Seems to me that the higher the level of play, the less luck is a factor.

No matter how many "lucky" rolls your opponent gets, if you get to the table with a chance to win, you can't blame your loss on luck.

RoadHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our brains are designed to do our day to day work with as little thought as possible. Your brains motto is: close enough is good enough. Once a task is really learned its mostly automatic the next time.

My point is pool is a interesting challenge because close enough is not good enough in pool. Automatic pilot even for one shot can be death two or three balls later.

It's a grueling grind when done right. But when guys like shane are at that razors edge of attention there is very little luck. When they go on auto pilot details get missed.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course it plays a role and the fact it does makes SVB's 3 in a row all the more impressive. Or anyone who's had continued success, they're good enough mentally and physically to overcome the bad rolls. He's still in and hope he can make a run. However, don't discount the fact he dogged that 4 up 5-3 which changed the whole match. I can often find a moment I screwed up that led to me getting bad rolls.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446043667.477613.jpg
Sooooo, I'm assuming since you mention Shane that you're referring to his loss last night? You think this was about rolls? You think that Justin shooting .900 + had nothing to do with this, that it was rolls? Refer to the picture.

TwinkleToes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I appreciate the responses but perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I don't have a problem with Shane losing his match. He did dog the 5 ball and Justin played excellent.

I was just using Shane's bad rolls as an example of the amount of luck in pool. Shane made a beautiful breakout on one shot, but then got hooked. He hit a fantastic shot but luck wasn't on his side on that particular shot. That happens to everybody!

In my opinion, to gripe about luck when you lose, is weak-minded.

The point I am trying to make is that there is a tremendous amount of luck in pool, compared to other games, or sports. That's all I am trying to say.

If you are a person who doesn't mind all the luck, you can enjoy pool a lot more. As for myself, I greatly enjoy the physics, the geometry and the mental toughness that is needed to play pool well.

It's just that I see so many times that good rolls...or bad, can control the outcome of a match.

I enjoy golf! For lots of reasons but one of the biggest, is because there is so little luck involved.

I am not saying golf is better than pool! I am just saying that for me, I would enjoy pool a whole lot more if there wasn't as much luck involved.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Call shot call safe helps.
Also, "Tighten up the pockets to 4". And get rid of the side pockets and the jump cues too!! This game is a joke!"
--Author "unknown" :D (If you don't know you're not paying attention) hehe

BrianaBrown13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's luck in all sports. Why does one guys golf ball hang in the edge to the fairway and another's rolls over into the rough or bunker. I've seen 2 golf balls hit in virtually the same spot in a green side bunker, one rolls back into the bottom and other plugs in the face. Why did the football bounce in any certain direction when dropped. Or a hockey puck deflect a certain why off the side boards. Heck, why did the rock fly over the car in front of me this morning and land on my helmet. ( was I lucky to be wearing my helmet). Pool has just as much luck as everything else.........One would like to think that good rolls and bad rolls eventually even out.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
This.

Call shot call safe almost completely eliminates the luck factor. I prefer 10 ball played this way.

A lot of bad things have happened to pool....this would be another one if the whole game
went to call shot/call safe.

Shaw won his match last night with a long bank/combo on the 9-ball and drew the length
of the table for a 'plan-B' safety.
Corey and Efren have showed some great thinking over the years....many would not have
happened if multiple outcomes were not allowed.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
A lot of bad things have happened to pool....this would be another one if the whole game

went to call shot/call safe.

Shaw won his match last night with a long bank/combo on the 9-ball and drew the length

of the table for a 'plan-B' safety.

Corey and Efren have showed some great thinking over the years....many would not have

happened if multiple outcomes were not allowed.

Tap, tap, tap. I'd give you a greenie but I have to spread it around first.